Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De-Duplication Support?

How is the progress of integration BackupPC with the ZBA? We are looking at various backup solutions for several of our clients and would love to transition to Zmanda.

The only two issues we have are deduplication and client restore GUI. Obviously the reduplication issue is a much larger issue.

Just want to say, that your product is still a great product and cannot wait to deploy this on a large scale. Thanks for all the work you guys do!

Default client-side de-dupe available yet?

I'd like to cast a supporting vote for the comments made by David Ruwoldt. We're currently looking at purchasing a very expensive system that combines Exagrid and Symantec. I'd prefer to save some money and implement Amanda. Our management personnel might actually agree to Amanda since the Enterprise Support contract would give it some legitimacy in their eyes.

BackupPC can handle de-duplification at the client side using rsync, but that project doesn't seem to have some of the Enterprise features of Amanda. It would be nice if Amanda supported rsync or md5 sums on the client to cut down on transmitting files that have already been backed up.

An ideal backup 'product' would include:
    1- client-side de-dupe to minimize traffic
    2- export to tape/external disk for archival storage of a full backup
    3- mirror/sync entire server to offsite, disaster recovery location

Any news on this dedup support/option client side or other? I am pretty much in the same situation as Greggn where we are meeting with different vendors such as Emc with Avamar/DataDomain, Symantec, Quantum and the such to replace our costly TSM configuration. I have included Amanda Enterprise in my list of "to look at" but would like some more info on this...

Steph

+1 for dedup feature. Any news on this, guys?

This seems to be the only decent discussion on deduplication with Zmanda. I am about to do a large purchase of Zmanda and my solution for this will be to use opendedup (SDFS) file system. This handles block level at the server side. Works on Linux, and Windows. I also see that someone has it running on Solaris.