Thread: Is amanda-client being phased out?

Default Is amanda-client being phased out?

I've used backuppc for many years, but have never gotten amanda to run for me.
    I'm always looking at the same issue, with is always client related.
    So, what I really need to know is, can amanda be used to backup, linux related systems without the use of amanda-client.

The client software looks so hit and mis, it exists for debian, but not for opensuse, the tarball's don't seem to include it.

1. Is amanda-client being phased out?
    2. Can amanda server backup remote clients, without use of amanda-client. Say using ssh?

amanda has differential backups, and for certain data types, it looks like a nice product. But backuppc, running every time, in 30 minutes to an hour, using ssh, even on Windows.

Thank you for your time.

Yonatan Kurovsky

Quote Originally Posted by ykurovsky View Post
    I've used backuppc for many years, but have never gotten amanda to run for me.
    I'm always looking at the same issue, with is always client related.
    So, what I really need to know is, can amanda be used to backup, linux related systems without the use of amanda-client.

The client software looks so hit and mis, it exists for debian, but not for opensuse, the tarball's don't seem to include it.

1. Is amanda-client being phased out?
    2. Can amanda server backup remote clients, without use of amanda-client. Say using ssh?

amanda has differential backups, and for certain data types, it looks like a nice product. But backuppc, running every time, in 30 minutes to an hour, using ssh, even on Windows.

Thank you for your time.

Yonatan Kurovsky
    1. No. You can find latest versions at www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php
    2. No. You need to install amanda client or mount remote clients using NFS or samba.
    [URL=http://amanda.zmanda.com/]Amanda backup and recovery [/URL]
    [URL=http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.html]MySQL backup and recovery[/URL]