October 18th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Amanda 3.4 Released
The Amanda core team is pleased to announce the release of Amanda 3.4.
Source tarballs are available from
Binaries for many systems are available from
Documentation can be found at
Here's a list of the changes for release 3.4 (from the NEWS file):
Look at the ReleaseNotes and ChangeLog file for more details.
- Allow to put a dump on more than one storage
- Allow to specify which DLE/level go to which storage
- amdumpcan dothe vaulting operation (copy from one storage to another one)
- Use shared memory to pass data between processes
- A CRC is computed on the backup image and is verified on restore.
- Run multiple backup inparallel, there is no lock preventing concurrent run.
- Add letter based sequence to autolabel and meta-autolabel.
- And 'includefile' directive for the disklist.
- tapepool, tape are in pool
- amanda.conf (index file can be kept sorted, compressed or uncompressed)
- amanda.conf (interface section)
- amanda.conf (dumptype section)
- add a retry-dump setting.
- add atag setting.
- deprecate usetimestamps, it is always "yes"
- amanda.conf (new policy section), define when a tape can be reuse or not. A lot more powerful than the tapecycle setting.
- amanda.conf (new storage section), define how to operate each changer. Many old global setting can be set differently for each storage.
- dump-selection (select which dle go to that storage)
- labelstr can be a new MATCH-AUTOLABEL keyword, labelstr can use the autolabel variable.
- storage (default storage), You can set multiple storage, all DLEs will be sent to all storages
- amvault-storage (storage used by amvault)
- deprecated option: --label-template, --dst-changer, --autolabel, they must be set in a storage section
- new --dst-storage option to overwrite the default amvault-storage.
- new --pool and --storage options.
- new --list-retention, --list-no-retention and --remove-no-retention options.
- print the RetentionType in the inventory
- --init and --no-restore arguments.
- s3 device
- New READ-FROM-GLACIER and TRANSITION-TO-GLACIER properties, they allow to transition s3 objects to Glacier.
- tapelist file
- include POOL, STORAGE and CONFIG
- You can share the same tapelist file across multiple config.
- new --platform argument
- new --distro argument
- new client ambackup program to start a backup of the client
- new server service ambackupd
- this protocol works even if the client is behind a NAT