Thread: Tape duplication (one tape drive)

Default Tape duplication (one tape drive)

Hi,

I have an AMANDA setup (3.3.1, Debian 7) running in holding disk-to-tape-changer style and need to duplicate already flushed tapes.
    The tapes shall be used for disaster recovery so they should behave as the original tape.

Is there a mechanism inside AMANDA for this or do I have to read the complete tape via dd to disk and use amlabel to force
    the same label as the original tape to the copy?

Thanks in advance for an answer.

Kind regards,
    Martin

man amvault

I'm sorry, I don't have a second changer. I have one changer that is holding my source tape and I have an adequate amount of disk space.

My question is about how to read the tape, dump it to disk, and dump the files to the tape again. An ideal case would be if there were no configuration changes necessary (it's not running at home...).

Or will the result with a dd-loop be so broken that I have to define a virtual changer for an useable copy (amvault calls for this)?

- create a vtape
    - vault to the vtape
    - vault the vtape to a new tape
    - amrmtape the vtape

The problem with using dd is that amanda will not know about that copy and will not be able to restore from it, it will require manual recovery.

OK, thank you. Please don't misunderstand, I'm sure you know your system better as me.

But what I don't understand where the difference from the AMANDA perspective is when the new tape

- has the same size (=tape length)
    - contains the same files
    - received the same label by amlabel -f

How is AMANDA able to know that it's not the same tape?

It don't know, and amanda can recover from both tapes as long as you keep both tapes.

The problem is when you reuse (or amrmtape) the first tape, amanda will remove it from its database.

My question is about how to read the tape, dump it to disk, and dump the files to the tape again. An ideal case would be if there were no configuration changes necessary (it's not running at home...).

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    asad