Thread: ZCB is closing?

Exclamation ZCB is closing?

From an email that i have received some days ago:
    As of December 15, 2014, Amazon Web Services (AWS) will discontinue the use of DevPay, the billing platform Zmanda uses to enable backups to AWS. As a result of this change, you will no longer be able to use your Zmanda Cloud Backup service after December 15, 2014.
    So it's true? I have to migrate to something else now?
    The same mail suggests a migration to Carbonite Server Backup below, but it is a little bit expensive for my business.

Has anyone some cheaper alternatives to suggest?
    Thanks,

Daniele

Hello Daniele,

Yes, this is true. Amazon is discontinuing the DevPay program on which Zmanda Cloud Backup is built. As such, ZCB for Amazon S3 will cease to function when DevPay goes offline on December 15th, 2014. We have absolutely no control over this, unfortunately.

Zmanda was purchased by Carbonite in November 2012. The Carbonite Server Backup program is built with the same technology as ZCB, except it doesn't rely on DevPay.

Please email us at [email]ZmandaMigration@carbonite.com[/email] with your Zmanda Cloud Backup account email address and your phone number, or call us at 855-227-2249 to begin the migration process. We have an entire team that can answer your pricing and migration questions.

Thanks,
    Eric

Question

I've found this [url]http://bacula.org/[/url]
    Somebody know it or have already tried it? How does it work? It's good?

What about this instead? [url]http://www.cloudberrylab.com/amazon-s3-windows-server-backup.aspx[/url]
    Seems good: full, incremental or block backup on amazon s3, only 79$ for license.

Daniele
    Last edited by officinaweb; October 28th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

Sorry Daniele, but I'm not familiar with bacula at all. I've heard of Cloudberry, but I believe it is File System only. You won't get things like MSSQL, Exchange, and such with CloudBerry.

Hi!
    I join this discussion 'cause I have a related problem.

I want to know if the backup done with Zmanda on Amazon S3 will be available also after 15th of december.

Thanks to all!
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by innobit View Post
    Hi!
    I join this discussion 'cause I have a related problem.

I want to know if the backup done with Zmanda on Amazon S3 will be available also after 15th of december.

Thanks to all!
    Marco
    Soon, Amazon Web Services (AWS) will discontinue the use of DevPay, the billing platform Zmanda uses to enable backups to AWS. When DevPay is discontinued, you will no longer be able to use your Zmanda Cloud Backup service. The backups stored on Devpay will be gone once Amazon turns DevPay off. We have no control over this.

To continue your backup operations, we recommend you migrate from Zmanda Cloud Backup to Carbonite Server Backup. Carbonite purchased Zmanda in November 2012, and CSB uses the same technology as ZCB so it will be familiar to you.

To start this migration process, please email us at [email]ZmandaMigration@carbonite.com[/email] with your Zmanda Cloud Backup account email address and your phone number or call us at 855-227-2249.

This does not affect backups uploaded to Amazon S3 using Amanda Enterprise. The standard Amazon S3 platform is not shutting down. It's only DevPay. Zmanda Cloud Backup is the only Zmanda product affected by the end of DevPay.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_R View Post
    Soon, Amazon Web Services (AWS) will discontinue the use of DevPay, the billing platform Zmanda uses to enable backups to AWS. When DevPay is discontinued, you will no longer be able to use your Zmanda Cloud Backup service. The backups stored on Devpay will be gone once Amazon turns DevPay off. We have no control over this.

To continue your backup operations, we recommend you migrate from Zmanda Cloud Backup to Carbonite Server Backup. Carbonite purchased Zmanda in November 2012, and CSB uses the same technology as ZCB so it will be familiar to you.

To start this migration process, please email us at [email]ZmandaMigration@carbonite.com[/email] with your Zmanda Cloud Backup account email address and your phone number or call us at 855-227-2249.

This does not affect backups uploaded to Amazon S3 using Amanda Enterprise. The standard Amazon S3 platform is not shutting down. It's only DevPay. Zmanda Cloud Backup is the only Zmanda product affected by the end of DevPay.
    So, Can I download my old backup also after the DevPay deadline with Zmanda? Or have I to use another tool?

Quote Originally Posted by innobit View Post
    So, Can I download my old backup also after the DevPay deadline with Zmanda? Or have I to use another tool?
    When Devpay ends, the backups are gone. You cannot get them. The entire platform on which they are hosting will be gone.

For data migration inquires, you must contact the migration team as described above.

Actually i am not understand anything yet from this discussion. Did you found any solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by sohana View Post
    Actually i am not understand anything yet from this discussion. Did you found any solution ?
    Hello,

There's not really a "solution" as such. Amazon has pushed back the end of life for the DevPay platform, and thus ZCB is still "alive". But you really should migrate to Carbonite Server Backup at your earliest convenience. To start this migration process, please email us at [email]ZmandaMigration@carbonite.com[/email] with your Zmanda Cloud Backup account email address and your phone number or call us at 855-227-2249.