Thread: Problem with amcheck and mtx

Default Problem with amcheck and mtx

I've been happily using Amanda v3.2.3 with a Dell TL4000 tape changer (48 LT04 tapes, 4 drives) under RHEL6 for the past couple of years with no issues. Suddenly, within the past couple of weeks, amcheck began throwing the following errors:

Code:
    > amcheck daily

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
    -----------------------------
    Holding disk /butemp: 47 GB disk space available, using 47 GB
    Searchinf for label 'Daily-038': error from mtx: SCSI error; Sense Key=Illegal Request
    ERROR: error from mtx: SCSI error; Sense Key=Illegal Request
    Server check took 0.5404 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
    --------------------------------
    Client check: 1 host checked in 7.485 seconds.  0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 3.2.3)
    >
    The associated debug log reads as follows:

Code:
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: pid 20226 ruid 501 euid 501 version 3.2.3: start at Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: pid 20226 ruid 501 euid 501 version 3.2.3: rename at Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: chg-robot: using statefile '/var/amanda/chg-robot-dev-sg5'
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: Amamda::Taper::Scan::traditional stage 1: search for oldest reusable volume
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: Amamda::Taper::Scan::traditional oldest reusable volume is 'Daily-038'
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: Amamda::Taper::Scan::traditional stage 1: searching oldest reusable volume 'Daily-038'
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: invoking /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg5 status
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: new Amanda::Changer::Error: type='fatal', message='error from mtx: SCSI error; Sense Key=Illegal Request'
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: Amanda::Taper::Scan::traditional result: error=error from mtx: SCSI error; Sense Key=Illegal Request
    Mon Sep 15 15:34:16 2014: amcheck-device: pid 20226 finish time Mon Sep 15 15:34:17 2014
    In addition, amdump fails to flush to tape and generates many of the same error messages.

Since the amcheck debug log specifically mentions 'mtx', I began playing with it to see if I could figure out what is going on. First of all, according to the yum logs, I am running mtx version 1.3.12-5, which was installed in November of 2013 (almost a year ago--the new behavior isn't the result of a recent mtx update). I found that issuing the same command that amcheck does:

> /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg5 status

results in:

Code:
    mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
    mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
    mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
    mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
    mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
    mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
    mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
    mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
    mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
    Mode sense (0x1Z) for Page 0x1D failed
    mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
    mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
    mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
    mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
    mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
    mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
    mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
    mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
    mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
    mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
    READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed
    while, alternatively, issuing:

> /usr/sbin/mtx status -f /dev/sg5

which is wrong according to the man page (the "-f device" should proceed the status), or

> mtx status

yields:

Code:
      Storage Changer /dev/changer:4 Drives, 48 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
    Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 36 Loaded):VolumeTag = A00036L4
    Data Transfer Element 1:Full (Storage Element 37 Loaded):VolumeTag = A00037L4
    Data Transfer Element 2:Full (Storage Element 38 Loaded):VolumeTag = A00038L4
    Data Transfer Element 3:Full (Storage Element 35 Loaded):VolumeTag = A00035L4
          Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=A00001L4
          Storage Element 34:Full :VolumeTag=A00034L4
          Storage Element 35:Empty
          Storage Element 36:Empty
          Storage Element 37:Empty
          Storage Element 38:Empty
          Storage Element 39:Full :VolumeTag=A00039L4
          Storage Element 48:Full :VolumeTag=A00048L4
    Which looks correct to me.

I know Amanda is not responsible for the 'mtx' command, but was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what is going on or how to possibly fix it. I've not found any relevant information either in this forum, nor through a general Google search. Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Hello,

You may wish to check the physical changer for issues, such as visible error messages or messages being displayed on the web console of the device. The above output may point to the issue being intermittent - all three mtx commands should give the same output, so long as /dev/changer is symlinked to /dev/sg5. Long reports *generally* indicate that the device node being accessed is not being a changer (which doesn't appear to be the problem here), or the changer reporting a problem in response to the query.

Regards,

Jeff

You may wish to check the physical changer for issues, such as visible error messages or messages being displayed on the web console of the device.

We are the leading the world in providing best [url=http://www.testking.eu/exam/CLO-001.htm]Testking CLO-001[/url] gre and [url=http://www.testking.eu/exam/N10-005.htm]testking.eu[/url] prep solutions. Our incredible offers for [url=http://www.nova.edu/]nova[/url] and [url=http://www.ku.edu/]www.ku.edu[/url] gedare accessible at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_National_University]Florida National University[/url] our [url=https://www.facebook.com/LynnUniversity]Lynn University[/url] ged is very rare in IT world.
    Last edited by shona155; January 10th, 2015 at 02:21 AM.

I am having something similar. Did you ever find the solution to this problem.

Robert