I've been happily using ZCB for at least three months with little issue. I use it in two environments - one is a host server running Windows Server 2012 R2 and has scheduled backups for Hyper-V VMs, System State, and File System. The other is a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM that serves as our SQL server, with corresponding backups.

Every now and then, I would get the "Writer status is not stable. Try after restarting application Writer service." error when trying to perform a backup. This is more frequent on the host server than it is on the SQL Server VM. Sometimes, using the "Restart Background Service" function under Tools will resolve the issue. At other times, this has no effect, and only a full system reboot will allow backups to continue. I found that a system reboot was commonly necessary every 1-2 weeks to mitigate the issue. This was an inconvenience, but not a burdensome one.

However, after updating ZCB to 4.11, I have encountered this error with a much higher frequency. For example, I performed a full system reboot this past Friday evening, so that all weekend backups would be performed without the issue. Upon coming into the office Monday morning, I have discovered that almost every backup failed with this issue, including the backups on the SQL Server VM, which to this point, has very rarely seen this issue. In addition, using the "Restart Background Service" function has not made a difference.

It is not feasible for me to be able to reboot the server again until the July 4th holiday begins, so I am likely stuck without backups until then, though as the weekend has shown, a reboot is no longer a guaranteed fix. I am looking for any tips, tricks, or best practices to make this error less frequent. If this should be submitted as a support ticket, I would be happy to do so. Please let me know, and thank you for any help.