Thread: How do I enable multiple index_server's to allow restoring from two backup servers?

Default How do I enable multiple index_server's to allow restoring from two backup servers?

We have two backup servers, one at each of our two sites.

The each backup server at the local site, then backup the other site, so we have backups of both sites at both locations.

When trying to do a restore, you need to set index_server in amanda-client.conf on the client, the problem is, it looks like you can only set one server there - so if you want to restore from the backup server at the second site - you have to manually edit the file.

We're using Amanda Enterprise (but my forum account hasn't been authed to post in the paying customers area yet).

The amanda-client.conf file only authorizes a single backup server via the index_server and tape_server lines as observed. Thus this should be set to the backup server that you are most likely to restore from. In the event that a restore is needed from the other server, the file may be manually edited to allow this as mentioned. Keeping lines for both servers in the file with one set of lines commented out would make it easy to switch between servers if needed on any regular basis.

What type of data are you backing up from both servers? Windows file system, Linux file system, MS Sharepoint, MS SQL?

I will check into why your forum account is not authorized to post yet in the Amanda Enterprise forum. As a customer, you are always free to post your questions and issues in a forum but please also be aware that generally a support case would be opened by logging into Zmanda Network (network.zmanda.com) with the account under which the subscriptions were purchased and creating a support case from the Support tab. This would be the most direct and usually the fastest way to get a response to any questions and issues.

Your forum user should now be able to post in the Amanda Enterprise forum. Please let us know if not.