Thread: What files should I backup before upgrading from 2.6.1 to 3.3.5?

Default What files should I backup before upgrading from 2.6.1 to 3.3.5?

My existing server is running CentOS 5.5 with Amanda server 2.6.1. I am planning to upgrade the system to CentOS 6.4 with Amanda 3.3.5 next year. Before I do that, I have a couple questions.

1. What files do I need to backup from the existing server?

I have searched the forum and found a thread of upgrading 2.4.5 to 2.5.0 here:
    [url]https://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?86-Upgrade-to-2-5-0&highlight=upgrade%20server%20index[/url]

It basically saved all the files in /var/lib/amanda/*; /etc/amanda/* and the file /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts. Then restored those files to the new system. Is it still true for upgrading 2.6.1 to 3.3.5?

2. Do I need to change any things on the clients?

The clients are running either 2.6.1 (for machines on CentOS 5.9) or 3.3.1 (for machines on CentOS 6.4). They all worked fine with Amanda 2.6.1 server. Do I need to do anything on the clients after the upgrade? Are there any compatible issues with 3.3.5?

Any information will be much appreciated.

What need to be backed up depend of where you put things, generally they are:

The home directory of the amandabackup user /var/lib/amanda
    The config dir (amgetconf build.conf_dir)
    For each config:
    The logdir (amgetconf CONF logdir)
    The indexdir (amgetconf CONF indexdir)
    The changer state file
    The crontab entry

I expect amanda client 2.6.1 and amanda server 3.3.5 to be compatible, but I do not test everything, so I can't guarantee it.

Hi Martinwau,

Thank you for your information

Godwinzh