Thread: Tapes not reusable - need help

Default Tapes not reusable - need help

Hi,

we have a Tape Changer with 12 usable slots. Unfortunetly we use all 12 tapes (4 for the first day (Monday) and 2 for each other 4 days).

The cycle configuration is:

cycles.conf:

dumpcycle 7
    runspercycle 5
    runtapes 5
    tapecycle 13
    The tape labels are running from a2g-00 to a2g-11

When I relabeled / formatted the tapes with amlabel everything works fine and it starts with a2g-00. Unfortunately in the second week (backup cycle) it wants a new tape (the 13th) and obviously I don't have it.

How can I tell AMANDA that it should start with the a2g-00 tape in the second week / dumpcycle instead of asking for a non existing 13th tape. I don't want to decrease the tapecycle to 12 because there would be the danger of overwriting a2g-00 in the same week.

Any ideas how to to that? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by r8qt7; March 8th, 2013 at 05:03 AM.

Unhappy

This is great. Another 'non-answer'.

tapecycle has to be the number of tapes which you have. If you put 13, Amanda will ask the 13Th tape.

**runtapes 5** you need to use 5 tapes per dump?

Quote Originally Posted by xHan View Post
    tapecycle has to be the number of tapes which you have. If you put 13, Amanda will ask the 13Th tape.

**runtapes 5** you need to use 5 tapes per dump?
    Note: Amanda is commonly misconfigured with tapecycle equal to the number of tapes per
    dumpcycle. In this misconfiguration, amanda may erase a full dump before a new one is
    completed. Recovery is then impossible. The tapecycle must be at least one tape larger than
    the number of tapes per dumpcycle.
    Unfortunately the amanda.conf manpage says differently. No I need 4 tapes for the first day (full backup) and 2 for the incrementals.

I did try it with tapecycle 12 but it still wants a new or other tape. On the next run it just says:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No acceptable volumes found].

I can only solve this problem if I relabel all tapes? There is no autolabel and the label is set to the correct laben Regexs
    Last edited by r8qt7; March 19th, 2013 at 07:45 AM.

The tapecycle must be at least one tape larger than
    the number of tapes per dumpcycle.
    You have to have the same amount of tapes as your tapecycle. It has to be ** one tape ** larger than the number of tapes per dumpcycle. Not only a number.

I need 4 tapes for the first day (full backup) and 2 for the incrementals.

I did try it with tapecycle 12 but it still wants a new or other tape. On the next run it just says:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No acceptable volumes found].
    In your case:
    dumpcycle 7
    runspercycle 5

You will run 1 full backup and 4 incremental backups in one week. If you need 4 tapes for full and 2 for each incremental, the runtapes should be 4. Runtapes is the largest number of tapes which you need for one dump.

4 + (2 x 4) = 12
    12 tapes you will need for a dumpcycle.
    Because you don't want to erase the latest (the only) full backup when you are backing up the new full, you will need another 4 tapes in your tapecycle (you need 4 tapes for a full, not only 1 tape).
    So the tapecycle would be 16, in that you will need 16 tapes which have been configured for the backup set in your tape library .

Quote Originally Posted by xHan View Post
    You have to have the same amount of tapes as your tapecycle. It has to be ** one tape ** larger than the number of tapes per dumpcycle. Not only a number.

In your case:
    dumpcycle 7
    runspercycle 5

You will run 1 full backup and 4 incremental backups in one week. If you need 4 tapes for full and 2 for each incremental, the runtapes should be 4. Runtapes is the largest number of tapes which you need for one dump.

4 + (2 x 4) = 12
    12 tapes you will need for a dumpcycle.
    Because you don't want to erase the latest (the only) full backup when you are backing up the new full, you will need another 4 tapes in your tapecycle (you need 4 tapes for a full, not only 1 tape).
    So the tapecycle would be 16, in that you will need 16 tapes which have been configured for the backup set in your tape library .
    Hi xHan,

thanks for your answer. At the moment I do need 12 tapes for a backup week. The tapes should be completely overwritten in the next backup cycle (which is one month from the previous week (I have 5 of these AMANDA jobs for each possible week in a month)).

Let's say the first backup cycle was in the 1st week of February. The next cycle will be in the 1st week of March and in that backup cycle I can overwrite all 12 tapes.

I would like to have 13 tapes in a backup cycle but our tape changer has only 12 slots.

It would be great if AMANDA would overwrite the 12 tapes (starting with the first tape a2g-1-00) in the next backup cycle (one month from now) but not overwrite the first tape in the same backup cycle if there would be too much data that would require 13 tapes.

At the moment I have to format / relabel all tapes manually before every run. If I don't do that AMANDA won't accept it.