Thread: Amanda API Invoke via JAVA Application

Default Amanda API Invoke via JAVA Application

Hi ,

I'm working on an a j2ee application where i need to integrate Amanda community via APIs.

my question is there any body how can help me to explain amanda's APIs and how could we invoke these API via an external application

Thanks for your help.

The best place to see how Amanda does its magic is through the code base. Each executable tool is quite well broken down into ligical blocks of functionality.

How deeply would you like to integrate?
    Week integration may just involve the Java application invoking the Amanda binaries. Very easy but not good practice.
    Tight integration would go as far as using JNI to integrate the Amanda tools into Java. This would be very useful to the Amanda community in general.
    Then there is the most extreme solution, implement the Amanda Protocol in Java.

There are other backup tools available in Java if you google around. If you are not tied to anything I would recommend shopping around.
    If you are tied to Amanda and need something quick, executing the binary from Java may be your only option.
    If you are willing and have the time, the JNI solution is the best. Many people in the Java and Amanda community would love this feature.