Thread: Windows incremental is a full backup

Default Windows incremental is a full backup

I must be missing something, so bear with me.

I have an Amanda 3.3.3 Linux server and I'm trying to get backups working with an XP-sp3 system running the ZWC-Community-3.3-32bit
    edition.

If I do a force a full dump, run the dump and then run another dump, I would expect the incremental to be minimal. Instead, it is the same size as the full dump, although the report indicates that it is a Level 1 (but planner says it's overwriting the full dump)

amreport from level 0:

NOTES:
    planner: Forcing full dump of pat-t60:"c:/Documents and Settings/pat" as directed.
    taper: Slot 11 with label DS1-11 is not reusable
    taper: Slot 12 with label DS1-12 is usable
    taper: tape DS1-12 kb 21580 fm 1 [OK]

DUMP SUMMARY:
    DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
    HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
    ---------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------- ---------------
    pat-t60 "c:/Documents and Settings/pat" 0 27489 21580 78.5 0:09 2362.2 0:00 215800.0

amreport from level 1:

NOTES:
    planner: Last full dump of pat-t60:"c:/Documents and Settings/pat" on tape DS1-14 overwritten in 1 run.
    taper: Slot 14 with label DS1-14 is not reusable
    taper: Slot 15 with label DS1-15 is usable
    taper: tape DS1-15 kb 21581 fm 1 [OK]

DUMP SUMMARY:
    DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
    HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
    ---------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------- --------------
    pat-t60 "c:/Documents and Settings/pat" 1 27489 21581 78.5 0:09 2391.3 0:01 21581.0

This is the dumptype definition:
    define dumptype zwc-compress {
    global
    index
    strategy standard
    auth "bsdtcp"
    compress client fast
    program "DUMP"
    }

And this is the dle:
    pat-t60 c:/Documents\ and\ Settings/pat zwc-compress

This happens even if I set strategy to "nofull"

I must be missing something, how do I get an incremental from Windows?

I have exactly the same problem. Even if I added amandabackup user to local Administrators group on the Windows client. Can anyone help? It seems an universal problem.

I use a Linux server to backup Windows clients with Amanda 3.3.X and haven't had any problems with incrementals. The dumptype global stuff isn't listed in the original posting, so I'm assuming that's unmodified from the default.

In the latest setup of ours, I've now turned off all incremental -> full promotions using the "maxpromoteday 0" directive. I then force full backups on my own custom scheme (via "amadmin <set> force <machine> <disk>") that Amanda can't do itself. I would advise "estimate server" as a directive on Windows, because the default estimation code on Windows is appallingly slow I've found. I have "index yes" and "record yes" as options in my setup too.

Note that of course, to get incrementals, you should have more than one tape in your scheme and set the appropriate dumpcycle/runspercycle/tapecycle/runtapes directives.

See this thread: [url]https://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?4177-Full-and-Incremental-Backups[/url]

This didn't say any solution.

Quote Originally Posted by bubumannus View Post
    This didn't say any solution.
    I doesn't know solution for problem with ZWC version 3.3.
    But there is solution for problem with backups on windows hosts - you should use ZWC version 3.1.3. With it incrementals work as expected.

Default Problem solved

When I switched to enterprise version, incremental backup works even with community version clients on windows 2k8 r2. So the problem is at the server side. Maybe the community version 3.3.4 server doesn't support incremental backup for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ilyaa View Post
    I doesn't know solution for problem with ZWC version 3.3.
    But there is solution for problem with backups on windows hosts - you should use ZWC version 3.1.3. With it incrementals work as expected.