Thread: Windows client backups - problems restoring them

Default Windows client backups - problems restoring them

At the moment, we're using just program "DUMP" in the Amanda server dumptype config for Zmanda Windows clients (i.e. no client-side compression or encryption). There are several issues about recovering these dumps on the Linux Amanda server we're using (the client and the server are both 3.3.3):

1. The Zmanda Windows client [url="http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Zmanda_Windows_Client"]wiki[/url] mentions ZIP64 format is what the client uses. The zip creation code is presumably embedded in the client, because I believe standard Windows installs don't have a binary you can run to create an archive in .zip format. It should be noted that the wiki page only mentions version 3.1.3 as the latest version - someone needs to update that!

However, I strongly suspect that the code for the 'program "DUMP"' default we're using in the Amanda dumptype config does *not* save NTFS file permissions properly, making it far less useful than it should be. Using the Zmanda client, is there an alternative way to dump to the server and retain NTFS file permissions? I can see an "APPLICATION" option and a way to set what application the client runs, but what should that application be? Does it have to support any particular command line parameters for instance? I do think the Wiki is cheeky to say "Backs up NTFS filesystem" when strictly speaking, it doesn't do it properly w.r.t. NTFS ACLs/permissions.

2. amrestore on the Linux Amanda server is pretty hopeless when it comes to recovering Windows client dumps. Although it can recover Linux client dumps, it just bombs out with an obscure error when restoring Windows clients:

warning: restore program for pkzip not available.
    amrecover couldn't exec: No such file or directory
    problem executing restore

A quick look at the source code seems to suggest there's simply nothing at all in there support Windows restores using amrestore on the Amanda server, which is very poor since it's the *only* way you can extract partial dumps (i.e. particular dirs or files from the DLE specified in the disklist file). Also, if I use "setdate" and then "add", it seems to add more than one date's worth of backups, which may be a bug.

3. amfetchdump *will* recover an entire DLE's worth of a Windows client dump to the server as a zip file (which could get huge if it's a full backup), but even this has issues. Apart from not restoring NTFS permissions when the .zip file is transferred over to Windows and unpacked on the client, it also saves 2 copies of a file in the .zip with this sort of filename:

ProgramData/Zmanda/Zmanda Client for Windows Community Edition(x64)/misc/ZWCDeletedFiles_20130123020617

Not a big issue since most zip unpackers will prompt you about the clash and let you just overwrite the first copy with the second copy, but it's not great the .zip file is created with duplicate entries.

So how do people workaround these issues, particularly having to extract an entire DLE on recovery and not having correct NTFS permissions when the .zip file is unpacked?

I would also be keen to know the answer to these questions.

I thought the zip file would preserve the permissions, but maybe I am mistaken... have not tested it as the need to restore the whole zip file (or DLE) put me off to start with.

Does the commercial version do things differently?

Hopeful for an answer
    Thanks
    C

Quote Originally Posted by cfnz View Post
    I would also be keen to know the answer to these questions.

I thought the zip file would preserve the permissions, but maybe I am mistaken... have not tested it as the need to restore the whole zip file (or DLE) put me off to start with.

Does the commercial version do things differently?

Hopeful for an answer
    Thanks
    C
    I'm in the same case

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMason View Post
    I'm in the same case
    NTFS permissions gets stored in .zip file in a way that only enterprise edition can be able to extract it and not any other third party zip tool. This is a known limitation.