Thread: amrecover error- can't talk to tape server: [request failed: amandahost: is not local

Threaded View

Default amrecover error- can't talk to tape server: [request failed: amandahost: is not local

Hello,

I am running Amanda 3.1.3 on a Fedora 14 server. I have followed the instructions for Building a Basic Configuration. I am backing only the server to a hard disk attached to it using virtual tapes - no remote hosts. The amcheck report suggests the backup is created normally.

Using amrecover, I can open the archive, navigate it and add files to be extracted - no problem. However, when I try to actually extract the files I get the following error:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # amrecover MyConfig
    AMRECOVER Version 3.1.3. Contacting server on localhost ...
    220 myserver1 AMANDA index server (3.1.3) ready.
    Setting restore date to today (2013-01-10)
    200 Working date set to 2013-01-10.
    200 Config set to MyConfig.
    200 Dump host set to myserver1.domain.com.
    Use the setdisk command to choose dump disk to recover

amrecover> setdisk /etc
    200 Disk set to /etc.

amrecover> add aliases
    Added file /aliases

amrecover> list
    TAPE MyData02:2 LEVEL 0 DATE 2013-01-03-16-36-38
    /aliases

amrecover> history
    200- Dump history for config "MyConfig" host "myserver1.domain.com" disk /etc
    201- 2013-01-03-16-36-38 0 MyData02:2
    200 Dump history for config "MyConfig" host "myserver1.domain.com" disk /etc

amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive changer on host amandahost.
    The following tapes are needed: MyData02

Extracting files using tape drive changer on host amandahost.
    Load tape MyData02 now
    Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]? y
    amrecover - can't talk to tape server: [request failed: amandahost: is not local]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to run both versions of amtape in a second window as suggested in the wiki section "How To:Restore from Virtual Tapes":
    amtape woo slot 14 # option 1 OR
    amtape woo label B3_14 # option 2

I have also tried both approaches to setting up the amanda services in /etc/xinetd.d:
    [url]http://archives.zmanda.com/amanda-archives/viewtopic.php?t=6105&sid=6c7951963af9dd06850cef51b 69f91c8[/url]

In all of my attempts to recover a file (e.g., aliases), I get the same error:
    amrecover - can't talk to tape server: [request failed: amandahost: is not local]

Not sure if it will help, but I have installed the following Amanda packages:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # yum list installed | grep amanda
    amanda.x86_64 3.1.3-3.fc14
    amanda-client.x86_64 3.1.3-3.fc14
    amanda-server.x86_64 3.1.3-3.fc14
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very new to Amanda and have tried all suggestions I could find but the issue still remains. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by dkunev; January 10th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.