Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: only level 0

Default only level 0

hi,

I need to backup about 10 servers only when after I patch the OS.
    So every 3 months or so, I want to replace the existing level 0 with a new backup.
    I will be sending all my backups to disk.

I need some help with the configuration. Would this work?
    Dumpcycle = 0
    tapecycle = 1
    runspercycle = 1
    runtapes = 1

thanks
    Randy

In your case, you don't have an amdump crontab that you will manually run amdump each time, right?
    If so, then
    dumpcycle 0
    runspercycle 1

You can increase the tapecycle for storing more backups, the default tapecycle is 15.

"dumpcycle int
    Default: 10 days. The number of days in the backup cycle. Each disk will get a full backup at least this often. Setting this to zero tries to do a full backup each run.

Note
    This parameter may also be set in a specific dumptype (see below). This value sets the default for all dumptypes so must appear in amanda.conf before any dumptypes are defined.

runspercycle int
    Default: same as dumpcycle. The number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days. A value of 0 means the same value as dumpcycle. A value of -1 means guess the number of runs from the tapelist(5) file, which is the number of tapes used in the last dumpcycle days / runtapes.

tapecycle int
    Default: 15 tapes. Specifies the number of "active" volumes - volumes that Amanda will not overwrite. While Amanda is always willing to write to a new volume, it refuses to overwrite a volume unless at least 'tapecycle -1' volumes have been written since.

It is considered good administrative practice to set the tapecycle parameter slightly lower than the actual number of tapes in use. This allows the administrator to more easily cope with damaged or misplaced tapes or schedule adjustments that call for slight adjustments in the rotation order.

Note: Amanda is commonly misconfigured with tapecycle equal to the number of tapes per dumpcycle. In this misconfiguration, amanda may erase a full dump before a new one is completed. Recovery is then impossible. The tapecycle must be at least one tape larger than the number of tapes per dumpcycle.

The number of tapes per dumpcycle is calculated by multiplying the number of amdump runs per dump cycle runspercycle (the number of amdump runs per dump cycle) and runtapes (the number of tapes used per run). Typically tapecycle is set to two or four times the tapes per dumpcycle."

correct, I will be running each backup by hand.

thanks very much for helping me.

Randy

to backup my 10 servers, each servers backup is 4 gigs, my /amanda is 43 gigs

amanda.conf
    dumpcycle 0
    runspercycle 1
    typecycle 3

tapetype DISK
    define tapetype DISK {
    length 43000 mbytes
    }

my /amanda/vtape directory as
    slot 1 - 4

does this sound ok?

If your typecycle is 3, why do you have 4 slot?
    Each server is 4G, 10 servers would be 40G. If your backup server only had 43G space, you would not able to have more than 1 full backup.

Was the tapetype DISK defined by you?

the tapetype DISK was defined by me, but I am new to amanda and still learning.

would it be better to have 10 slots, and then set type cycle to 10?

I only want 1 full backup for each server.

You don't need to define a new tapetype. When you ran "amserverconfig DailySet1 --template harddisk ...", Amanda would define a tapetype HARDDISK in your amanda.conf. You don't need to worry about it.
    I don't think keep only one backup is a good idea. If I were you, I would like to keep 3 or 4 backups on the server as long as the server has enough space. As you said, the 1 full backup of your 10 servers may need 40G space on the backup server (it may be smaller, if your dumps are compressed). If you have enough space, you can increase your tapecycle to a bigger number, say 3 or 4.
    The number of vtape slots is the same as tapecycle.

I understand your point about keeping more than one backup, but I only need to keep 1 backup after I patch the OS. Besides the patching nothing else changes on these servers. When I backup a server, I want it to overwrite the previous backup for that server. I tried to run a backup for srv2 twice, but I think it kept the previous backup. here is my config

org "MyConfig"
    infofile "/amanda/state/curinfo"
    logdir "/amanda/state/log"
    indexdir "/amanda/state/index"
    dumpuser "amandabackup"
    tpchanger "chg-disk:/amanda/vtapes"
    labelstr "MyData[0-9][0-9]"
    autolabel "MyData%%" EMPTY VOLUME_ERROR
    dumpcycle 0 days
    runspercycle 1
    tapecycle 10
    amrecover_changer "changer"

amoverview --hostwidth 20 --num0 --last MyConfig

date LA NM 10 10
    host disk ST L0 22 23
    localhost /etc 0 - -
    localhost /var/lib/amanda 0 - -
    srv1 /etc 0 1 - 0
    srv1 /home 0 1 - 0
    srv1 /root 0 1 - 0
    srv1 /srv 0 1 - 0
    srv1 /var 0 1 - 0
    srv2 /etc 00 1 - 00
    srv2 /home 00 1 - 00
    srv2 /root 00 1 - 00
    srv2 /srv 00 1 - 00
    srv2 /var 00 1 - 00

Ok, you need to set
    dumpcycle 0
    runspercycle 1
    tapecycle 1

Overwritting the latest full backup is always BAD. it means you have no backup while you are doing the new one, if the server crash at that time then if you lost your server and you have no backup to restore it.

At any time you should have at least one full, you must wait the newest full is completed before removing the previous one.