Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't choose encryption key for backup sets

Default Can't choose encryption key for backup sets

I'm running ZCB 4.3 Google edition on a server 2003 machine. In case it matters, I THINK I had ZCB for Amazon installed on this machine in the recent past.

I can create an encryption key, but when I click the dropdown list in a backup set, the only thing available is "Do not use encryption." No Refresh or anything else.

I deleted and recreated the key and even uninstalled and reinstalled ZCB. No luck.

The only thing I didn't do (since I just thought of it) is give the key a different name. I'm trying to be consistent with the key names and passwords across machines so they're easier to track.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    I'm running ZCB 4.3 Google edition on a server 2003 machine. In case it matters, I THINK I had ZCB for Amazon installed on this machine in the recent past.

I can create an encryption key, but when I click the dropdown list in a backup set, the only thing available is "Do not use encryption." No Refresh or anything else.

I deleted and recreated the key and even uninstalled and reinstalled ZCB. No luck.

The only thing I didn't do (since I just thought of it) is give the key a different name. I'm trying to be consistent with the key names and passwords across machines so they're easier to track.

Any suggestions?
    Hi Ramon,

Is AES 256-bit Encryption selected above the dropdown box?

If so, can I see a screenshot of what you see?

Thanks,
    Eric

Below are screenshots of the dropdown box, as well as the AES Encryption Key Management box.

Below are screenshots of the dropdown box, as well as the AES Encryption Key Management box.

Thanks Ramon,

Are you using Java 7? Make sure you have 32-bit Java for 32-bit machines and 64-bit Java for 64-bit machines. The auto installer likes to default to 32-bit even when it shouldn't.

I had a very similar thing happen to me when testing. It turned out I didn't have Java 7 on my machine.

If you do have Java 7, what happens if you delete and re-create the key with the same name? Or with a different name?

--Eric

Java 7 is installed. 32bit system.

I tried deleting and recreating the key, both with the same name and a different name. No go.

I ran a repair install of Java 7 with Ninite. When that didn't work, I uninstalled Java then reinstalled using the download from java.com. Still no luck.

Do you have manual uninstall instructions? ZCB for Amazon was on here before (I'm pretty sure... I had it installed on a couple of machines before deciding to go with the Google subscription). Maybe there's a weird registry setting or something left over. If you have instructions on how to obliterate ZCB I can try another reinstall.

Thanks.

A new wrinkle. I just installed ZCB on another Windows Server 2003 machine and have the exact same problem. That's my only two Server 2003 machines so far. Maybe it's something specific to that OS.

They're both on the latest service packs and current on updates.

A new wrinkle. I just installed ZCB on another Windows Server 2003 machine and have the exact same problem. That's my only two Server 2003 machines so far. Maybe it's something specific to that OS.

They're both on the latest service packs and current on updates.
    Thanks for the detailed information, Ramon.

Would you be able to grab logs and open another support case?

Delete the key, then turn on DEBUG logging. Go through all of the steps to create the key. Then collect the logs. This will tell us where the problem lies.

Thanks,
    Eric

I'm collecting the logs right now. I appreciate your tenacity on this.

Eric solved the problem. Thanks Eric!

Here's the link to the knowledgebase article he wrote up: [url]http://help.zmanda.com/x/MwA6[/url]

Thanks Ramon. It will be great for others in the Zmanda community if you can share how you are using ZCB. Any performance numbers you are observing or any other tips that would be useful to your fellow users.