Thread: Export Backup Set to new server.

Question Export Backup Set to new server.

Hi there everyone,

I'm fairly new to the entire Zmanda Cloud Backup platform,

We have been running a backup set for one of our customers now for about 2 months, no problems at all.

They decided to get a new Server recently, and now I have to get all the data over to the new server (Scheduled backup set with local backups included)

Is there maybe an easy way to do this without creating a new "profile" on the US Server we currently have the backups configured to?

If anyone could maybe please assist me in how we should do this without running into any problems, we basically need to export the backup set with local backups from the old server, and import the set and local backups to the new server without having to upload the entire set of data to the cloud again.

Thanks in advance,

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by JohanBarnard View Post
    Hi there everyone,

If anyone could maybe please assist me in how we should do this without running into any problems, we basically need to export the backup set with local backups from the old server, and import the set and local backups to the new server without having to upload the entire set of data to the cloud again.

Thanks in advance,

Johan
    You basically need these steps:

1. Locate the local backup data on the old server and copy all of it to the new Server. If you are using network drives for storing local backups, you can skip this step.

2. Now make sure you have ZCB version 4.3 installed on the new server. Run Restore Catalog operation from Local Disk operation. Detailed steps are in the User guide here: [URL="http://help.zmanda.com/display/ZCB/User+Guide+%5BAmazon+S3%5D+-+English+-+v4.3#UserGuideAmazonS3-English-v43-RestoreCatalogfromLocalDirectory"]http://help.zmanda.com/display/ZCB/User+Guide+%5BAmazon+S3%5D+-+English+-+v4.3#UserGuideAmazonS3-English-v43-RestoreCatalogfromLocalDirectory[/URL]

This will recreate your backup set configuration and will populate your older backup reports. However, your earlier schedules will NOT be recreated.

3. Review the backup set configuration and backup Reports. Now activate the backup set by right clicking on the backup set icon. Recreate the schedules by hand and save the backup set.

You can run a few backups and restores after the above steps to ensure that things are running fine.

Thanks!
    -Nik

Quote Originally Posted by nikunj View Post
    You basically need these steps:

1. Locate the local backup data on the old server and copy all of it to the new Server. If you are using network drives for storing local backups, you can skip this step.

2. Now make sure you have ZCB version 4.3 installed on the new server. Run Restore Catalog operation from Local Disk operation. Detailed steps are in the User guide here: [URL="http://help.zmanda.com/display/ZCB/User+Guide+%5BAmazon+S3%5D+-+English+-+v4.3#UserGuideAmazonS3-English-v43-RestoreCatalogfromLocalDirectory"]http://help.zmanda.com/display/ZCB/User+Guide+%5BAmazon+S3%5D+-+English+-+v4.3#UserGuideAmazonS3-English-v43-RestoreCatalogfromLocalDirectory[/URL]

This will recreate your backup set configuration and will populate your older backup reports. However, your earlier schedules will NOT be recreated.

3. Review the backup set configuration and backup Reports. Now activate the backup set by right clicking on the backup set icon. Recreate the schedules by hand and save the backup set.

You can run a few backups and restores after the above steps to ensure that things are running fine.

Thanks!
    -Nik
    Hi there Nik,

Thanks for the fast response hey,

I started the copy to the new server, will take an hour or two to complete.

Will get back to you if I run into any problems along the way.

Thanks again,

Johan