First off, sorry about the ALL CAPS subject. I just pasted in what I got from amanda.

On Monday the 17th my backups completed normally with the expected "RESULTS MISSING" messages from systems that were not present when the backups executed:

Hostname: fraud.davenjudy.org
Org : DailySet1
Config : DailySet1
Date : July 17, 2012

These dumps were to tape DailySet-24.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: DailySet-25, DailySet-26.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
bend /media/eb382003-5a1e-4859-b095-9b25e6c514b6 lev 0 FAILED "[/usr/lib64/amanda/runtar exited with status 2: see /var/log/amanda/client/DailySet1/sendsize.20120717004504.debug]"
bend /media/_Fedora-16-x86_6 lev 0 FAILED "[/usr/lib64/amanda/runtar exited with status 2: see /var/log/amanda/client/DailySet1/sendsize.20120717004504.debug]"
spindle /etc RESULTS MISSING
spindle /var RESULTS MISSING
spindle /home RESULTS MISSING
spindle /root RESULTS MISSING
planner: ERROR Request to spindle failed: resolve_hostname(spindle): Name or service not known

STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:

On Tuesday the 18th I found:

*** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!

Date : July 18, 2012

These dumps were to tape DailySet-25.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: DailySet-26, DailySet-17.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
bend /media/eb382003-5a1e-4859-b095-9b25e6c514b6 lev 0 FAILED "[/usr/lib64/amanda/runtar exited with status 2: see /var/log/amanda/client/DailySet1/sendsize.20120718004504.debug]"
bend /media/_Fedora-16-x86_6 lev 0 FAILED "[/usr/lib64/amanda/runtar exited with status 2: see /var/log/amanda/client/DailySet1/sendsize.20120718004504.debug]"
bend /etc RESULTS MISSING
bend /var RESULTS MISSING
bend /home RESULTS MISSING
petard /etc RESULTS MISSING
petard /var RESULTS MISSING
petard /home RESULTS MISSING
mutilate /etc RESULTS MISSING
mutilate /var RESULTS MISSING
mutilate /home RESULTS MISSING
waste /etc RESULTS MISSING
waste /var RESULTS MISSING
waste /root RESULTS MISSING
planner: ERROR Request to spindle failed: resolve_hostname(spindle): Name or service not known

STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
waste /home lev 1 STRANGE (see below)

STATISTICS:
Total Full Incr.
-------- -------- --------
Everything is missing but no errors are reported that I could follow up and fix. I looked in the amdump files and log files and everything looked normal except the report e-mail. I was busy with my day job so I only had time to do some minimal troubleshooting like running amcheck plus I removed the two "missing" disk definitions for bend (partitions on an external hard disk).

On Wednesday the 19th I got:

Date : July 19, 2012

These dumps were to tape DailySet-26.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: DailySet-17, DailySet-27.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:

STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
mutilate /var lev 2 STRANGE (see below)

STATISTICS:
Total Full Incr.

The rest of the backups for this week have run with no problems either.

Everything is back the way it's supposed to be. The "missing" disk definitions on bend had been missing for over a month so I doubt that they suddenly caused a problem. I hit Google with the subject of this post and didn't find anything helpful. Anyone have any idea 1) what went wrong and 2) how do I prevent it from happening again? It's nice when problems just go away on their own but that doesn't mean the problem is solved.

Cheers,
Dave