Thread: How to test schedules/configurations without waiting many days?

Default How to test schedules/configurations without waiting many days?

We have installed Amanda and would like to test our configuration. For this we ran amdump manually n-times in a few minutes where n > dumpcycle and n > tapecyle. However, this seems not to work as amdump generates a Level 0 backup only on the first run instead of every dumpcycle run. It seems that Amanda recognises that a previous amdump run was performed on the same calendar day.

How do you test a setup without waiting days?

Thanks!

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Use strategy noinc in dumptype. See [url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda.conf.5.html[/url]

Hi Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Use strategy noinc in dumptype. See [url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda.conf.5.html[/url]
    Thanks for your response. If I understand the documentation correctly, noinc tells amanda not to do any incremental backups. But this is not what I am looking for. I want to test the sequence of full and incremental backups as defined by the dumpcycle, tapecycle and number of tapes. In other words, I want to simulate what amanda would do based on my configuration over a number of days or weeks if it was run once daily. But of course, I cannot wait several days to see whether my settings produced the desired results. I would like to play this through in a few minutes.

Stefan

What if you change the server date/time just before the scheduled backup time?

Hi xHan

Quote Originally Posted by xHan View Post
    What if you change the server date/time just before the scheduled backup time?
    Thanks. This would work in theory but is quite impractical. I cannot do any date manipulation on our productive backup server nor on the clients that should be backuped. This would disrupt other services. So the only way to do this would be to setup and maintain an extra system with no other services just to test amanda configurations.

Is there no way to tell amanda to stop worrying about calendar days and just treat all runs of amdump as independent events?

Stefan

Hi Stefan

Can you decrease the dumpcycle to 1 or 2 days and put 5 (or some other number > 1) on runspercycle? Then you would see the result sooner.