Thread: noob-type question regarding s3

Default noob-type question regarding s3

Hi everyone,

I'm testing out Amanda 3.3.0 Community edition to make backups of a 1TB partition we have on a Windows 2008 R2 server we have, and I'm not sure if I have everything set correctly. I'm using S3 as our tapes, so according to the documentation, I've set it up as a tape device with 10TB capacity. I have about 450 GB worth of holding disk space for amdump to use. I think I finally have it done correctly, but I'm not sure if the amreport I have is telling me everything I need to know. (I have it attached). May I have a second opinion on this? And if you need to see the amanda.conf, just let me know.

Thanks,

Rommel

amreport.zip

What does you amanda.conf file look like.

it seems like you have created an excessive number of tapes.

I have it attached. I'm concerned about the amount of tapes I've set up because I am using S3 as a tape source. It kept failing when the amount of tapes was set to anything less than 100, so I'm wondering if something in my syntax is wrong or needs to be adjusted. The way it's running now, it did run a full backup on friday and an incremental backup last night.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rommel,

I have far fewer tapes and I use one per day. I have a very large RAID array that I write to, but even so I don't have nearly as may tapes as you do:

dumpcycle 2 weeks
    runspercycle 14
    tapecycle 15 tapes
    runtapes 1

One other thing that is puzzling is the tape size you configured. You said that you have 1TB to backup but your take is 10 times larger at 10TB. That can work and it's probably not important, but my RAID tapes are simply 1TB in size:

define tapetype RAIDTAPE {
    comment "Virtual Tapes"
    length 102400000 mbytes
    speed 819200 kps
    }

So, a w;ord about your amreport. It looks very much like things worked, but that you had tried numerous times to do a backup and failed to write (the tape) to the S3. In that case, you holding disk was grabbing the data. when you finally ran a proper backup with the S3 configured it did a flush of the data up to the S3. I bet that the next backup will create a much easier to read amreport.

That's definitely reassuring that it's working. Would there be any need to adjust the size of the tapecycle or the runtapes in order to achieve the same result?

I don't think tape size will be a problem, You may want to adjust the number of tapes because retaining 1000 tapes may prove costly.

I adjusted the amount of tapes to 750. i'm still a little unsure of why it would fail when i set runtapes to 1, but i guess leaving it this way hopefully fixes the issues i'm running into.