Thread: Backup scheduling example

Threaded View

Default Backup scheduling example

Brand new to zmanda and I have a question about how to implement a backup schedule I have in mind.

Here is the backup plan I would like to implement:

Full backup to local disk once a month
    Daily incremental to disk
    Once a week copy disk to cloud (done over weekend when office closed and bandwidth available)
    I would like to retain backups for at least 6 months locally and possibly longer in the cloud

My question is how best to accomplish this and are there any issues I should be considering.
    My plan is to do this:

Setup local disk backup set with two schedules
    Schedule 1: full local disk backup on the first of every month - set retention for 6 months.
    Schedule 2: daily incremental - set retention for 6 months

Setup second disk to cloud backup set
    Schedule disk to cloud for weekly incremental - not sure how to configure this.

I am confused on how best to implement the disk to cloud portion. We have about 240G of data. I don't want to do a full backup each time because of the bandwidth. Ideally I would like to do a single full backup maybe twice a year and the rest as weekly incremental backups but I am not sure this is wise. Perhaps it would be better to treat the cloud backup completely independently from the local disk backup. I could simply setup a direct to cloud backup set which would run on a weekly basis with an appropriate retention period.

I would appreciate comments on what I have planned and how best to accomplish it.
    Last edited by pmckenna541; February 18th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.