Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSS & MySQL

Default VSS & MySQL

Hi,

New to all this...

Would like to backup MySQL database using VSS snapshot...but suspicious that MySQL is not fully VSS aware.

Anyone know if this is true?

If not, is it possible to run a script before and after the backup to lock the DB?

thanks,

David

David,

ZCB can back up MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 without any further scripting.

If you still have concerns, ZCB supports running scripts before and after the backup operations. All of this can be done from within the UI.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Zmanda Support

David,

MySQL does not have a VSS writer.

As Eric replied, ZCB can backup MySQL without any scripting. You should be able to configure it from the UI.

In future, ZCB will support VSS snapshots of MySQL database with ZCB performing database quiescing.

thanks
    Padd

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses!

What kind of backup does it do then with MySQL 5.0/5.1? I don't want to do dumps as I've got a 40 GB db...

We are going to upgrade to 5+ soon, which is why I asked. But we are currently only using 4.1.11. What are my options here? Like I said, dumps are way to slow...

Also, I'm a bit confused between ZCB and MySQL Backup. Can the latter backup to the cloud too? I like the extra MySQL control it seems to give...

thanks!

ZCB uses mysqldump for MySQL backups.

ZRM for MySQL provides lot of MySQL backup and recovery options including VSS snapshots of MySQL backups. Please see [url]http://www.zmanda.com/zrm-mysql-enterprise.html[/url]

Are you using InnoDB tables in your database? If so, mysqldump will use single-transaction and locks will not be held during backup.

thanks
    Paddy

dumps will not work - take way too long on a 40 GB db. MyISAM tables.

I have a slave database running, but I don't want it off line for that length of time, hence my interest in VSS snapshots. If I use ZRM for MySQL, can I still backup to the Cloud?

But I'm back to my other question - how can ZRM for MySQL use VSS if MySQL isn't VSS aware?

any idea what the requirements are for ZRM for MySQL wrt Windows Server 2003 (soon to be 2008) and MySQL 4.1.4 (soon to be 5+). Or should I ask this in another forum?

thanks!

ZRM for MySQL uses VSS snapshots by quiescing the databases. It will take a read lock during the time snapshot is performed (usually it will take a second or so).

ZRM for MySQL works well with tools that expose the Amazon S3 as a drive.

ZRM server cannot run on 64bit Windows and so you should have either Linux/Solaris/Windows 32bit machine as a server. It can back up MySQL server running on Linux/Solaris/Windows (32bit or 64bit).

Please contact Zmanda sales if you are interested in ZRM for MySQL solution.

thanks
    Paddy

We are currently on 64 bit - can it be installed as a 32 bit app?

Does ZCB snapshot MySQL using LVM on Linux if we were to switch? I looked in the docs I could find, and didn't see it mentioned (if it is in the docs pls supply link).

Thanks!

K, now I'm on a real browser instead of iphone I was able to search a little better!

So, apparently ZCB is only windows based.

I'm confused by earlier parts of this thread, however. In the ZCB docs is says "Live backup of SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, MySQL & Oracle". Does this really mean "mysqldump"?

What is the schedule for: "ZCB will support VSS snapshots of MySQL database with ZCB performing database quiescing"

thanks!

David

ZCB is a windows based and performs backup of SQL server, Exchange, Sharepoint, MySQL and Oracle. Yes. Current release uses mysqldump for MySQL backup. We will be
    also adding support for VSS snapshot based backup of MySQL databases in 3 months.

Paddy