Thread: Backup Fails: Backup of a volume is already in progress

Default Backup Fails: Backup of a volume is already in progress

Is ZCB limited to one backup run at a time?? Any known issues with running multiple backups to disk and cloud on a schedule around the same time??

I have just discovered that most backups are failing with the error: "Backup of a volume is already in progress". (for backup to disk) and "Upload failed due to failure of backup run" (for upload from disk)

In the Event Log I see Event ID with the following:

BACKUP-NAME - Backup failed with errors.
    Error Details : ZWC_ENG_ERR_BACKUP_IN_PROCESS
    ZIB_OPERATION_ELAPSED_TIME=00:00:00:04

Please check log files for details.

--------

Now I have this problem on a few systems running Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008R2... anyone else seen this? suggestions? Didn't see anything in the knowledge base...

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by SouthWest View Post
    Is ZCB limited to one backup run at a time?? Any known issues with running multiple backups to disk and cloud on a schedule around the same time??

I have just discovered that most backups are failing with the error: "Backup of a volume is already in progress". (for backup to disk) and "Upload failed due to failure of backup run" (for upload from disk)

In the Event Log I see Event ID with the following:

BACKUP-NAME - Backup failed with errors.
    Error Details : ZWC_ENG_ERR_BACKUP_IN_PROCESS
    ZIB_OPERATION_ELAPSED_TIME=00:00:00:04

Please check log files for details.

--------

Now I have this problem on a few systems running Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008R2... anyone else seen this? suggestions? Didn't see anything in the knowledge base...

Thx
    Yes this a limitation in ZCB 4.0.2. You can only run 1 backup per volume at a time. So you can backup D:\ in one backupset and C:\ in another but you can't mix the two. The upcoming release of ZCB 4.1 resolves this issue and allows parallel backups of the same volume to occur. 4.1 will support multiple parallel backups on one volume of 2 of the same backup type for SQL and Filesystem backups. It will also allow multiple parallel backups to occur with differing backup types. Here are some examples of how 4.1 will behave:

1. 2 SQL backups run in parallel.
    2. 2 Sharepoint backups, if run in parallel, 2nd one fails with 'Application
    backup already in progress error.'
    3. 2 System State backups, if run in parallel, 2nd one fails with 'Application
    backup already in progress error.'
    4. 1 SQL & 1 Sharepoint backup run in parallel.
    5. 1 SQL & 1 System State backup run in parallel.
    6. 1 Sharepoint & 1 System State backup run in parallel.

Parallel backups are not yet supported for Oracle.

Does this answer your question?

Just wish to add - ZCB 4.1 is expected to be available for production in a couple of weeks.

Also, an early access version would be available early next week. If you are interested in trying it out, please drop an email to [email]zcb@zmanda.com[/email].

Thanks!
    -Nik

Thanks for your replies. So in my case Im just doing 2 MySQL DB's and then a list of file folders, so instead of having all 3 backup sets all at once, I've set it to do mysql backups first since they are executed quickly, then the files after. So far so good!