Thread: ZWC scripting and Pre/Post Snapshot scripts?

Default ZWC scripting and Pre/Post Snapshot scripts?

I am at the moment trying to see if the ZWC works with our server. I have a Lotus Domino server that I want to move to ZWC. Two questions:

* Does the community edition of ZWC support Pre/Post Scripts? It looks like scripts can only be defined in the templates - and I didn't find any documentation on the community pages.
    * I only see Pre-backup and Post-backup scripts. One important thing in between is missing: The VSS-Snapshot. Ideally the pre-backup script should do this:
    - shutdown domino (because domino doesn't have a VSS writer)
    - do the VSS-snapshot
    - startup domino again
    -> then start backing up the VSS-Snapshot.
    I have no idea if this is possible with just Pre- and Post-Backup hooks. Did anybody do something similar?

So, do you already have a Amanda server running on a Linux/Unix box?

Is the Lotus Domino Server completely contained on one Windows Server?

yes and yes.
    Domino server is small and not clustered.
    the amanda installation is a fresh one (3.3) on a new server (RHEL6), but the old server already runs amanda 2.x (the one shipped with ubuntu 10.04). So I have something to start off.

Our old routine goes:
    * shut down domino
    * vss snapshot the data drive
    * start up domino
    * rsync the whole snapshot to a staging area on the backup server
    * push that backup to tape with amanda.

This gives minimal downtime for our domino server (<2 min) and useful backups. I thought with the ZWC being able to do VSS-Snapshots, I could cut the rsync part out. A bit ike with the amlvm-snapshot-script on linux.

Create a template using ZWCconfig tool. It will create a template.txt file. In this file, you can add pre-backup and post-backup operations.

Add a <PRE_BACKUP_SCRIPT> or <POST_BACKUP_SCRIPT> tag(s) to the template.txt file for a given template. The tag's content is the path to script. For example, the following shows what the code would look like to add pre- and post-backup scripts to the MyTemplate template, which backs up c:\data after running c:\preScript.bat (which takes the input file prebackup.txt as an argument), and then runs postScript.bat:

<MyTemplate>
    <DLE_NAME>MyData</DLE_NAME>
    <DLE_TYPE>USER-DEFINED</DLE_TYPE>
    <FILE_LIST>
    <FILE_NAME>c:\data</FILE_NAME>
    </FILE_LIST>
    <PRE_BACKUP_SCRIPT>C:\preScript.bat prebackup.txt</PRE_BACKUP_SCRIPT>
    <POST_BACKUP_SCRIPT>C:\postScript.bat
    postbackup.txt</POST_BACKUP_SCRIPT>
    </MyTemplate>

Please note that post-backup operation will be performed after data is sent to the server. There is no hook to perform operations after VSS snapshot has been performed.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    There is no hook to perform operations after VSS snapshot has been performed.
    Thanks. That's what I needed to know. This would mean that my 5 minute window of downtime would grow to several hours. So ZWC doesn't seem to be the right tool for my use case.

Quote Originally Posted by headhel View Post
    Thanks. That's what I needed to know. This would mean that my 5 minute window of downtime would grow to several hours. So ZWC doesn't seem to be the right tool for my use case.
    One thing you could do is write a pre backup script which will do 2 things. 1 it will spawn a secondary process which will then check the output of the vssadmin list shadows command and based on the output will restart the service. and 2. will close while the second process runs and return a 0 exit code. It is not the most elegant solution but should do what you need.

Regards,
    Boris

One more thing to consider is whether you need to shut down Domino in the first place.

Snapshot should give you a crash consistent backup image. You can also perhaps do some kind of sync to disk operation in the pre-backup script, to improve the quality of each backup.

Quote Originally Posted by zbackup View Post
    One more thing to consider is whether you need to shut down Domino in the first place.

Snapshot should give you a crash consistent backup image. You can also perhaps do some kind of sync to disk operation in the pre-backup script, to improve the quality of each backup.
    That's exactly the feature that's missing from Lotus Domino.

My current plan is to invoke a script via winexe in the pre-dle-estimate phase that shuts down domino and exposes a snapshot as a new drive letter (via vshadow). I can then backup that snapshot with zwc.

I'm still testing. Of course ZWC will fail trying to create a snapshot from a snapshot but it looks like it handles this gracefully.

I tried to create a prescript with the tool. Didn't work

Lets say I have something line

someserver.com c:/ zwc

in my server disklist

and I want to run a batch file (which dumps a database) before the actual filecopy. How do I set it up? I haven't found any information in the FAQs/manual.