[2] The Creation of /.amandahosts file during the installation of amanda-2.5.2p1 Server backup:

GIVEN INSTRUCTION FROM AMANDA MANUAL:
This step requires creating a file named .amandahosts (note the dot) inside the Amanda userís home directory. In our example, this fileís full location should be, /home/amb6fp/.amandahosts

Add the following two lines into this file:

mvstu3.ece.virginia.edu amb6fp amdump

mvstu3.ece.virginia.edu root amindexd amidxtaped

These entries signifies that user amb6fp from mvstu3 is allowed to execute amdump on this machine (mvstu2). The second line means user root is permitted to execute the other two programs.

Amanda is very strict about permissions to this file. The .amandahosts file also needs strict permissions. They should be owned by the Amanda user (amb6fp) and not be readable or writeable by anyone else. Also, the home directory of the Amanda user (containing the .amandahosts file) should not be writeable by anyone else.

So do the following to set up appropriate access rights:

# chown amb6fp ~/.amandahosts

# chmod 755 ~amb6fp

# chmod 600 ~amb6fp/.amandahosts

Later you can check the access rights to this file by executing,

$ ls Ėl .amandahosts

This should give the following output:

[amb6fp@mvstu2 ~]$ ls -l .amandahosts

-rw------- 1 amb6fp amb6fp 87 Jul 25 16:43 .amandahosts

STEPS TAKEN REGARDING ABOVE DIRECTIVE:

STEP 1:- The above file (.amandahosts)was created at the root prompt(#) with the ff. command:#touch /home/amb6fp/.amandahosts.

The created file should be owned by the Amanda user (amb6fp) and not be readable or writeable by anyone else. Therefore; the following steps were taken:

STEP 2:- Then, I used this command at the root prompt for change of ownership:-

# chown amb6fp ~/.amandahosts

Error message received: No such file or directory

In order to get a solution, then, I used: Whereis command to find /.amandahosts file.

Result of whereis: /home/amb6fp/.amandahosts

Now, I changed the above chown command to:

# chown amb6fp:disk /home/amb6fp/.amandahosts

At this point, no error message given.

STEP 3:-Change mode command was used at the root prompt as requested from instruction:

# chmod 755 ~amb6fp

no error message given

STEP 4:-Change mode command was used at the root prompt as directed from instruction:

# chmod 600 ~amb6fp/.amandahosts

no error message given

STEP 5:- Now to check the access rights to this file by executing list command at amanda user prompt as directed from instruction:

$ ls Ėl .amandahosts

Error message: No permision to this file or directory. Access denial.
===================

I created /home/amb6fp/.amandahosts file for two machines is IP address was used to replaced Domain names as shown below:

192.168.1.7 amb6fp amdump
192.168.1.7 root amindexd amidxtaped
#
192.168.1.76 amb6fp amdump
192.168.1.76 root amindexd amidxtaped

I have been tried to get pass thi stage, in order to create access to this file/directory for amanda user (amb6fp).

Pls what have I done wrong from my steps above that result to the Error given?

NB:- The only area I used my own initiative is at STEP2 above just to direct the command to the required directory /file and /or to resolve the initial error message.

Pls write your guides in bulleting format.