For a certain machine, we have a very large /home entry in the disklist (usually ~200G), and since we started backing it up, the backup level has gone 0 (full), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, 8 .... 8 forever and never back to 0 again, like I would expect it to, and like one can see for any "normal" disklist entry. 8 must be the maximum incremental, but where is this specified? I can't find an obvious place in the amanda.conf. My main question is: is this a problem, or is it normal behavior? As it started bothering me a while ago, I subdivided SOME of /home into subdirectory elements, and added some of these bigger subdirectories to the disklist in their own right, and then excluded them from the bigger or top level /home entry via /home/.amandaexcludes . I wonder now if I shouldn't get rid of the top level /home disklist entry altogether, and just have everything underneath that in its own disklist entry. Has anyone noticed similar behavior from amanda, with regard to these perpetual incrementals? Thanks for your comments!