Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Schedule

Default Backup Schedule

I currently have our single backup set configured to perform a differential backup each night.

I have also added a 2nd schedule to the same backup set to do a full backup the first friday of every month.

When it comes to the first friday of the month, with it try to do a full backup and a differential or will it only do the full? I want to make sure it won't be trying to do 2 backups at the same time.

Any additional info on how to schedule it to work like this would be appreciated.

Hi Josh,

Pl. open a case from Zmanda networkds and send the logs.

-Harsha

Hi Josh,
    In your case, both the jobs will be fired. If one backup is already running, ZCB will fail the next scheduled backup run with an error "Backup already in progress".

I can think of the following options to solve this:
    1. Case1: The schedule time for Differential backup is much before than the Full backup. Let it be as it is so that the Differential backup will run before the Full starts.

2. Case2: Full backup is scheduled before the Differential backup. The Full backup will run and in case it is still running, the Differential backup will fail with error "Backup already in progress".

Conclusion: If you want both the jobs to complete successfully, make sure that they do no overlap.

Regards,
    Prashant

Ok. here's my issue.

I am trying to clean up our cloud backup strategy and keep our monthly costs to a consistent amount.

Since October 2010 we have been doing a Differential backup each night. I recently realized that there was no Full Backup scheduled regularly and our differentials were uploading 40GB each night.

I would like to clear out all of our backups since before last Friday (2/4/11) which is when our full backup ran and it finished uploading tonight.

I also want to change our nightly differential to be a nightly incremental since our full backup will be run once a month.

How do you recommend that I go about switching our backup schedules and clearing out our S3 storage to accomodate these changes?

Another issue is that when a full backup is running (which takes 3 days for us) it will try to do the Differential backup and fail. When it fails it leaves the local backup of the files because it failed and we have to manually delete them.

Is there a way to clear out the files automatically when they fail because another backup job was already running? Otherwise, this could slowly eat up space on our drives.

Any updates on how we should handle this?

If the differential backup is failing in backup phase, there should be no files related to
    this backup in the local folder. If it is failing in the upload phase (I'm not sure why it would), you will have to set retention policy for the local images appropriately so that they can get removed.

Another approach is to do local full and differential backups and upload them during the weekend. After upload, you can remove them using retention policy.

Paddy

The differential backups to local work as expected, but they never get to upload because the full upload is still in progress (takes 3 days). once the full upload finishes, the differential uploads have already failed and it does not clear out the files that were backed up to the local.

Also, any suggestions on how we can clean up our S3 storage and backups? Do I just need to delete everything from S3 and start fresh or is there a way to salvage the uploads? also, should I have different backup sets for the same folders so I can keep my full, differential and incremental backups coordinated properly?

Differential backup upload should work at the same time as full upload. When upload fails, the backup image in the local folder will not be removed. You have to remove it using ZCB Reports page.

If you want to remove images from S3 or Local backups, please ZCB Reports page. You can select multiple backup reports rows. Use the right mouse click menu. Select "Delete". This will delete the data from the Local or S3 as appropriate.

I would not recommed you to use different backup set for same folders for full/incremental/differential backup. In general, use same backup set of same set of data being backed up.

Paddy

If I clear out all Differential backups, will that allow me to change my schedule to be Full and Incrementals? Or will I still need to clear other settings out?