Thread: Can I do bare metal recovery using LVM?

Default Can I do bare metal recovery using LVM?

Hi,

I'm planning to use Amanda for backups. I kind of understand how to do database and file backups.
    What I also need to backup is the root filesystem of my virtualized servers.
    I have Xen virtual hosts running from my SAN which is partitioned for each server. In their own partition each vhost has LVM and one of the volumes is the root. I'm reading about LVM snapshots as a way of online backup, but I can't find anywhere a tutorial explaining how to "copy" the root fs. The I read that I can backup the whole fs with amanda.
    The question is if I can do this backup with the fs online (like LVM can do) and how to do it.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jplorier View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to use Amanda for backups. I kind of understand how to do database and file backups.
    What I also need to backup is the root filesystem of my virtualized servers.
    I have Xen virtual hosts running from my SAN which is partitioned for each server. In their own partition each vhost has LVM and one of the volumes is the root. I'm reading about LVM snapshots as a way of online backup, but I can't find anywhere a tutorial explaining how to "copy" the root fs. The I read that I can backup the whole fs with amanda.
    The question is if I can do this backup with the fs online (like LVM can do) and how to do it.
    There is a problem with copying a live file system called referential integrity. I may have a database that stores parts of an atomic unit of data in two separate places. If it is doing that at the time I make a snapshot, it is possible that I will get one of the two places but not the other. The database is broken in my copy.

That's a long-winded way of saying I doubt you can get a backup of your root file system, and if you can you had better see to it your snapshots are valid.

I suggest you use Amanda for file backup on the virtual machines the same way you would on a physical machine. For bare metal restore, make sure you have the metadata you need to restore partitions, etc.

[url]http://www.charlescurley.com/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html[/url]