Thread: selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer

Default selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer

Hi

When I do an amcheck, I get this

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
    --------------------------------
    WARNING: 192.168.2.2: selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer
    Client check: 1 host checked in 0.022 seconds. 1 problem found.

I am using bsdtcp. I get an ack error if I switch the client to bsd authentication.
    What should I do, how do I fix it?
    I read that I should enter servers adress to hosts file in /etc/ directory?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by koopa13 View Post
    Hi

When I do an amcheck, I get this

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
    --------------------------------
    WARNING: 192.168.2.2: selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer
    Client check: 1 host checked in 0.022 seconds. 1 problem found.
    That's telling you the for some reason, the process listening for Amanda connections on the 192.168.2.2 host is not allowing the Amanda daemon to run when the Amanda server makes an attempt to run a self-test on the client.

In the case of Linux, this would happen if the xinetd process (that's the process listening on the Amanda port) is not allowing the connection. For example, if the "only_from=<list of allowed hosts>" option is set in the xinetd configuration file, but doesn't list the Amanda server as allowed, you'll get a "connection refused" error.

I am using bsdtcp. I get an ack error if I switch the client to bsd authentication.
    What should I do, how do I fix it?
    I read that I should enter servers adress to hosts file in /etc/ directory?
    You don't say what systems (Linux, Solaris, etc.) you're using, but the problem appears to be the process that is doing the initial listening on the port. I'd check your log files on the client system for error messages. Check /var/log/messages, /var/adm/syslog, etc. as well as Amanda debug logs in the /tmp/amanda/ (by default) directory, and look for details there. For instance, on Linux, you might find something like this in /var/log/messages:

Code:
    June  5 09:26:34 spock.xxxxx.com xinetd[26030]: FAIL: amanda address from=123.234.224.85
    indicating that something (the Amanda server) was trying to connect on the amanda port, but was not allowed. Fix the xinetd.d/amanda file entry (in the case of RedHat Linux installs using xinetd daemon), restart the xinetd service via "service xinetd restart" and try again.

If you're continuing to have problems, you should provide more details on your installation (type and version of the operating system, release of Amanda that you installed, details of the install if there were errors or non-standard settings, etc.) so others can get a better understanding of your environment.

Regards,

-Andrew [in the deserts of eastern Washington, USA]