Thread: glib_init: assertion failed

Question [SOLVED] - glib_init: assertion failed

Hello community,

I am running Amanda since a few months now and I haven't had any kind of problems until a major update of perl from 5.8 to 5.10.

The platform I run Amanda on is a FreeBSD8.0-STABLE amd64 system brought up to date in 12th of April. Below can be found the output of the [URL="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=uname&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Fr eeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html"]uname(1)[/URL] utility:

Code:
    #uname -a
    FreeBSD server.example.net 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #3: Mon Apr 12 15:36:25 EEST 2010     root@server.example.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL  amd64
    The amanda configuration is quite basic. I have setup a 7 day backup cycle of some local directories. The backups are stored on virtual tapes onto a zfs dataset. If needed I would gladly provide the configuration.

I have made the perl update and of all the packages that depended on it (one of which is glib20). I have updated amanda to the latest state of the FreeBSD port /usr/ports/misc/amanda-server and have noticed that the version of amanda is 2.6.1p2. The options used at building amanda where the defaults changing just the user and group of the backup operator.

After this all the programs from the amanda package started to exist with the following error exit code:
    Code:
    # amstatus clients-daily
    ERROR:glib-util.c:48:glib_init: assertion failed: (!g_thread_supported())
    zsh: abort      amstatus clients-daily
    I would also like to mention that perl is built without threads. Also glib is at version 2.24.1.

I am also attaching a [URL="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=truss&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Fr eeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html"]truss(1)[/URL] trace of the following command:

Code:
    # truss amstatus clients-daily
    Any other kind of information useful to find the culprit I am glad to provide it.

Thank you & a sunny day,
    v
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mtx; May 16th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.

Hello!

I believe it is the "glib is at version 2.24.1" that is the culprit here. This version seems to be incompatible with the version Amanda was compiled with. Can you downgrade to at least 2.22?

Paul

Hello community,

Thank you Paul for your suggestion. I have downgraded glib to version 2.22.4, rebuilded amanda and everything works like a charm now.

a sunny day,
    v

Default How to downgrade?

Hi! I'm sorry for seeming dense, but how do you downgrade a port?

Thanks,
    Ricky

Hi pukku, you are not downgrading a port. You are downgrading the GNU libraries.

Paul

Except glib is provided by the devel/glib20 port. Unless there are knobs for the misc/amanda-server port to use a different glib?

Ricky