Thread: Server validation failed

Default Server validation failed

I am definitely a noob at this amanda stuff so please forgive me in advance.
    I am attempting to set up an amanda backup solution for my "primarily" windows network. I have installed the appropriate package from the zmanda web site on Ubuntu 9.04. The server seems to be working fine but the ZWC setup is giving me problems. I have searched through the forums and it looks as though the most common solution to this problem is setting the amanda server to the IP address of the machine rather than the FQDN. This has been done but on each machine (1 windows xp and 1 windows 7) , amcheck returns a "server validation failed. Please register the server with the client." I have modified the registry entries as listed in the forums and restarted the ZWC service each time. Still no luck. If anyone has any specific ideas, I would be glad to send a logfile from the client if needed.
    This is ZWC version 2.6.1.3 and the server is version 2.6.1p2-1.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hfield; April 5th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Hi,

Pl. collect the windows logs by running zwc-support.bat script (its in bin folder of ZWC installation directory). And send to us on "community@zmanda.com"

-Harsha

We recieved the logs but unfortunately, couldn't extract the required information from it.

Pl. do the following and resend the logs.
    1. Raise the log level to 5 using ZWC Utility.
    2. Rerun the amcheck.
    3. collect and send the logs.

-Harsha

Hi,

"Server validation is failing" due to following reason

Server registered with ZWC is "10.10.100.14", but the amcheck request is coming from "10.10.150.20". See the following logs from LogFile.txt

4712:2812:7/4/2010:08:52:810::CZWCJobHandler : Server address to be validated from the list of authentic server = 10.10.150.20
    4712:2812:7/4/2010:08:52:810::CZWCJobHandler : Server name = transcriptscan.jma.jeffersonmedical.net
    4712:2812:7/4/2010:08:52:810::CZWCJobHandler : Authentic Server name = 10.10.100.14

-Harsha

Default Duh!

Geeze. Thanks for the help. I now realize that the second nic on that machine is connected to a switch and getting an IP address via DHCP. I will see if I can finish bonding those nics and then try the backups again. I had started on this a couple of months ago and had to be side tracked by other projects. Then when I came back to this I didn't even think about the second nic.

Thanks for the help
    hfield

Default Server validation

I now have the 2 NIC's teamed and the server validates on both the windows xp and the windows 7 backup jobs. Now it is just a matter of getting the backups to run. I am not getting anything yet but will let you know what happens.

Default virtual tape

OK, I am not getting a backup. The email that Amanda sends to me says :

Subject: nealtest AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 8, 2010
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:56:51 -0500 (CDT)
    From: [email]amandabackup@jeffersonmedical.net[/email] (Amanda)

Hostname: amandaserver
    Org : nealtest
    Config : nealtest
    Date : April 8, 2010

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [Could not find a tape to use].
    No dumps are left in the holding disk. 0G

The next tape Amanda expects to use is: 1 new tape.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
    neal-pc.jma.jeffersonmedical.net "d:/downloads/linux/ubuntu" lev 0 FAILED [Can't switch to degraded mode when using a new disk]

Apparently I am not getting a drive to write to. I followed the 15 minute guide at [url]http://www.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html[/url].

I must need to set up some storage location.

Thank you!

Default Virtual tapes

I have found that the server configuration needed to be corrected. I will do some more research on that and let you know where I stand in a day or so. I didn't configure the backup jobs correctly when I originally set up the server. I will back track and reconfigure some of this and I think it will be OK. Let you know soon.

Thanks again.

Default understanding

I am beginning to understand how things work now. At this moment I am running my 1st successful backup of a windows xp client machine (running ZWC) and everything is moving fine at this point. All my problems came simply from not knowing enough about the procedures for creating and executing backup jobs. I have re-installed my OS and reinstalled Amanda Server community edition, reconfigured the backup job and now I better understand the correct procedures. Yeah!

Thanks again for all your help. This is looking like a great tool!