Thread: Logical/Raw Question

Question Logical/Raw Question

Hi folks,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed many times before, but thus far I have been unable to find the answer.

We have databases that are primarily using the InnoDB storage engine, which is of course transactional. Our database also makes use of views. Therefore, as I understand it, raw backups will not work for us.

Our goal is to find a backup solution that will allow us to do "hot" backups without having to lock the database for a long period of time or take the database offline, and also be able to do incremental backups.

Given our setup, is this possible with ZRM? Can you do a logical backup using an LVM snapshot as the source of the backup to avoid keeping the tables locked for an extended period, for example? And can you do incremental logical backups? Or is there some other method of accomplishing what we want that I am missing?

Thanks!

- Tom

The LVM snapshot backup is exactly what you are looking for. It provides you with the ability to back up mixed table environments including InnoDB tables in RAW mode with a minimal read-lock held only for the duration of the snapshot(1-2 seconds). If you do this, then you don't need to do a logical backup. You can still do incremental backups. These are done using copies of the binary logs, so these are available regardless of whether you are doing a raw or a logical backup.

-Jacob