Thread: SLAC (Statically Linked Amanda Client) 2.6.1p2 for Solaris 10

Default SLAC (Statically Linked Amanda Client) 2.6.1p2 for Solaris 10

I'm new to this forum and I've poked around a bit and this seems like the most likely place to post this sort of thing, but if I am totally out-of-line, just let me know and my apologies to everyone.

I've created a tarball of a completely statically-linked Amanda client for Solaris 10 and would like to share it with the community. Because static linking isn't extremely popular among admins any more and many may not understand what this means, I am pasting an explaination from the included README.txt, here:

DEFINITION:

static linking -

"Combining all necessary subroutines from external libraries into one executable file when compiling an application. When running, the application is not dependent on any of the operating system's auxiliary software components, known as "DLLs" in Windows and "shared objects" in Mac and Unix. Therefore, changes in these auxiliary modules do not affect the application for better or worse. Contrast with dynamic linking."

INTRODUCTION:

This "package" (tarball) was created in response to a local problem in which an Amanda client was required for some Sparc Solaris 10 machines which needed to be backed up as-is and which were lacking any installed development tools (make, gcc, etc.) Why not just use one of the many pre-built packages available from the Amanda community? Well, these tend to always require additional packages to be installed on the system, and the target machines could not be modified too much before backing up. Another Sparc Solaris 10 machine which had development tools installed and ready was used to compile the Amanda client from source, but in a special way.

Static linking is an old trick, but sadly, a forgotten art for many admins. The special directory called "sbin" on most *nix filesystems is actually full of statically linked binaries. These are the binaries which are most required, firstly, for performing system functions during boot and, secondly, in case of problems during boot, both being times when the system libraries which contain the routines they are linked to may not all be available. The routines which the binaries would normally use out of these libraries are compiled into the binaries themselves. This has the obvious advantage of creating a binary which is independently executable. The main disadvantage is a bloated binary size and speed, thus this is not the norm. The binaries in this package actually still require a few library routines, but they are from Amanda libraries which were compiled and included in the tarball.

Because this is becoming a lost art, I am first describing exactly how this package was built. I am a long-time believer in the freedom of information and therefore have faith that sharing this package as well as instructions for how to build it might provoke others to build more similar packages for other operating systems. Wouldn't it be an awesome world where SLAC packages were available for Solaris, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, and even maybe some old, obscure OSes, like SCO or even the strange and bastardized unix variants used in smaller devices like Nokia firewalls?

I hope this helps someone out in a similar situation. I am hosting the package at:

[URL="http://www.leper.org/SLAC-2.6.1p2-Sol10.tar.gz"]http://www.leper.org/SLAC-2.6.1p2-Sol10.tar.gz[/URL]

Raymond.

That looks great. Probably the most central place to post this is on wiki.zmanda.com - please edit away.