Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to create Bakup Directory

Question Failed to create Backup Directory

Hi all,

I've just installed ZCB 2.0 (Build 19551) on a Windows 2003 Server Web Edition, and am trying to store the backup data files onto a NAS before they go up to S3. I've specified a location such as \\pluto\backup\Zmanda\Server1 and I can browse the location normally in Windows Explorer (and can even see the location in the ZCB file browser).

The problem is that as soon as I force a backup, the Monitor just shows "Failed to create backup directory" in the "Status/Details" field. The Application Event log shows:

BackupSet1 - Backup failed with errors.
    Error Details : ZIB_BACKUP_DIRECTORY_NOT_CREATED
    ZIB_OPERATION_ELAPSED_TIME=00:00:00:00

If I change the backup location to a local folder the backup works fine. Is there an issue with backing up to a network location in this release?

Any advice would be welcome. We're trying to evaluate ZCB (and eventually Zmanda) to replace our existing network backup suite.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Last edited by beakz; November 2nd, 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for using ZCB.

To backup data to a NAS device, please follow the procedure below:

1. Using the backup user account, map the share on the NAS device as a Mapped drive on the machine where ZCB is installed.
    2. Once the share is mapped, in the Backup > Where page, browse to the mapped drive. You can create a separate folder for individual backup set.
    Save the Backup > Where page.
    3. Make sure that the shared folder on the NAS device has read-write access.

You should be able to backup the data to the NAS device.

Please let us if this works for you.

Regards,
    Prashant

Hi Paul,
    Sorry forgot to mention that "\\Ip_address\ShareName" will not work. You will have to specify a drive name. So follow the procedure mentioned in the earlier post and specify "Mapped_drive_letter:\" in the Backup > Where page.

Red face

Thanks Prashant,

Is saving directly via a UNC likely to be added to future releases?

Paul

Yes. We are considering adding UNC support. Is there a specific reason why mapping the share to a specific drive is not a good solution?

thanks,
    Paddy

Default Still failing to backup on schedule

Hi Guys,

I've added the drive mapping when logged on as the AMANDABACKUP user and the drive is remapped on logon. When I start a full/incremental backup in the application manually it will proceed and backup as expected.

I have set an incremental backup for 23:00 and a copy to S3 at 01:00. When I look at the reports in the morning the Full backup I made shows in the report as sucessful, but the scheduled tasks are all failing with the message "Directory not found".

There are lots of errors in the Windows event log, and they are:

System Backup - Backup failed with errors.
    Error Details : Path to backup directory not found.
    Please check log files for details.

or

System Backup - Backup failed with errors.
    Error Details : ZIB_BACKUP_DIRECTORY_NOT_FOUND
    ZIB_OPERATION_ELAPSED_TIME=00:00:00:00

It then seems like the copy to S3 is failing with the following messages:

System Backup - Upload failed with errors.
    Error Details : Failed to get files in backup directory.
    Please check log files for details.

Can you offer any ideas? I'm guessing it's something to do with the backup user not being able to access the mapped drive, but nothing says "Why".

Paul

PS. The reason for UNCs is that it's easier to manage, no logging on as another user, mapping drives, logging off etc etc.

Hi Paul,
    The reason why you are facing the issue is because by default the schedules are added using "System" account.

To resolve the issue, go to Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks. Go into the properties of the schedules that are having the issue i.e. "Incremental" and "Upload". In the "Run as" text box, change the username from "System" to "amandabackup". Enter the password for the amandabackup user and click Apply and Ok.

Do let me know if this works.

Regards,
    Prashant

Unhappy

Hi,

Ah right, I have now been in and changed each of the Schedules to run as AMANDABACKUP. I didn't realise that ZCB farms out the schedules to the Windoze scheduler, would it be possible for ZCB to set the correct user credentials when creating schedules?

I've tried "Running" the schedule from Scheduled Tasks, but see the same error in the "Monitor" pane of the ZCB console. Still just says "Directory Not found".

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    We would need to go through the log files to see what the actual issue is. In the ZCB gui, go to Tools > Log Level and change the log level from Error to Debug. It will ask whether to restart ZWCService or not. Click Yes.

Run a schedule. Once the error is reproduced go to Tools > Collect Logs. This utility will collect all the logs. Please email the output cab file to [email]zcb@zmanda.com[/email] using yousendit.com.

In the meantime, can you tell me if the "amandabackup" user used to run the schedules is a local user or domain user?

Regards,
    Prashant

Question

Hi Prashant,

I've sent you the logs, I assume you'll have notification of this now?

Paul