Thread: Enhancement: amrecover understanding pkzip (unzip)

Default Enhancement: amrecover understanding pkzip (unzip)

It looks like currently, you can use amrecover to browse a properly indexed dump from a Zmanda Windows Client readily enough.
    Recovering an actual file requires using amfetchdump to get the whole pkzipped image and then extracting the file(s) you want from the resulting zip file.

I can run a command like "unzip ZippedImageFile TargetFile" to extract a specific file with out moving the whole thing to the Windows box, but getting amrecover to do it all in one shot would be great.

Maybe the development team of zwc have chosen pkzip because it is more reliable? I appreciate it if anybody could elaborate on this point
    I think it is better to give the user the option to choose which compressing tool to be used

We select ZIP64 format because it works on large files and it is supported by many
    Windows tools.

We will look into adding compression tools as a user defined option. ZWC does not use
    PKZIP tool directly. PKZIP can extract ZIP64 archives without using ZWC.

Paddy

I know this is a "me too" posting, but if the Amanda Windows client's output (in ZIP64) cannot be extracted by amrecover on the Linux Amanda server side (whereas Linux Amanda client dumps *can* be), then this is a serious omission in Amanda's Windows support.

Having to extract an entire DLE's dump as an uncompressed zip file by default using amfetchdump is pretty unacceptable - if it also happens to be a level 0 dump, this could be a massive zip file (which you might only want to extract 1 file from!).

I'm going to look into changing the Windows client side options to use something like 7-Zip (with no compression), which is also available on Linux (as a 7za binary). Not sure exactly how to do this though, since the last time I looked, the docs surrounding this sort of change weren't exactly verbose (e.g. what CLI options to 7-Zip should be given and how do I specify them in the Amanda client/server configs?). Looking at the Amanda server source code, I"m also concerned it might need server code changes rather than just config changes.