Thread: Weekly, Monthly & Yearly Archives

Default Weekly, Monthly & Yearly Archives

Hi All,

I am sure this question has been asked before however I cant seem to find anything on it.

I am wanting to configure Amanda to keep periodic full vTape archive copies for:

Weekly, Monthly and Yearly

More specifically - I have the need to configure some of my servers to keep several full dump archives for a period of time, see example below:

Weekly (1 each week for 4 weeks), Monthly (1 at the end of each month for 6 months), Yearly (1 a year for 3 years)

What is the best way to accomplish this with vTapes?

Thanks in advance!

Trent
    Last edited by diazepam; September 20th, 2009 at 05:24 AM.

[url]http://www.zmanda.com/blogs/?p=120[/url] blog entry can help you. You will have to modify it to suit your needs.

So would i have a different amanda.conf and diskset for each backup type Child, Father, Grandfather?

e.g. DailySet1
    WeeklySet1
    MonthlySet1

Where do the strategy arguments go? I have searched the posts and cant seem to find anything that directly explains how to use these options

Have you got a simple example on how these options are used to create the GFS style backups.. Would a simple copy of the vTapes at a specific time (via cron) be easier?

Thanks again!!!

strategy should be specified in amanda.conf dumptype definition.

Please see amanda.conf [url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda.conf.5.html[/url]

Hey Paddy,

Thanks for the time to respond. I dont wont you to think I have been slack here. Over the last 3-weeks I have spent endless hours reading, googling, testing, and have installed amanda from repos, pre-build debs, and source code at least 5 times.

Could you just clarify

1. Do I need indicate a seperate vTape tapeset for Son, Father and Grandfather backups

Quote Originally Posted by diazepam View Post

1. Do I need indicate a seperate vTape tapeset for Son, Father and Grandfather backups
    Yes you will need 3 separate vtape set. You can avoid doing one for yearly
    vtape set if you are willing to manage retention policy on your own at the
    end of 3 years.

Paddy