Thread: NAS Shares

Unhappy ZCB Installer launches every time I start ZCB (was NAS Issues)

I have just finished migrating our file services from a windows 2k3 server to a NAS device. Everything with that migration went well with the exception of backups. ZCB does not let me select a network drive letter, or traverse across my network places to select network shares to backup.

How can I configure ZCB to handle backups from a NAS using a host W2k3 machine?

*Update* I tested this on another machine and it seams to allow me to select the mapped drive letters as locations to backup. So let me supply a little more information.

The machine I first tested this with has a problem with ZCB, where every time I launch the program it runs through the installer. Could this also be the reason that I can't select a network drive to backup?
    Last edited by cpage; July 13th, 2009 at 06:43 AM.

Hi,
    Please follow the procedure below to backup NAS shares:

1. Login to the machine where ZCB is installed using "amandabackup" user.
    2. Map a Network drive of the NAS share. While creating the share, make sure that you select the option "Reconnect at logon". Note the Drive letter assigned for the Mapped drive.
    3. Log off and login to the machine as "Administrator" or the user who is going to perform ZCB backups.
    4. Again map the network share as a drive with the same Drive letter as in step 2.
    5. Launch ZCB gui, select the drive in the Backup What page and perform backups.

Regards,
    Prashant

Prashant,

Thanks for the response, I have tried these steps that you provided. I've made sure that amandabackup is a member of the correct groups for read/write access, and have mapped these network drives as both amandabackup and as administrator.

I am still unsuccessful, the error message I am receiving is, "Validation of disk list entry failed"

What could be causing this message? Are there some additional steps that I need to make?

If additional info will help, this is a qnap TS-409U Nas which runs and embedded linux and samba.

Thanks,
    Christian

Hi Christian,
    We may need to look into the log files.

Can you please run "Tools > Collect logs" and send them to us using You can send us the logs through yousendit.com by specifying [email]zcb@zmanda.com[/email] in the "TO" address field.

Regards,
    Prashant

Hi thank you for the response, I have run the collect logs function and sent the logs using yousendit.com

I did get a message "Cannot perform a cyclic copy" message after the "Copied Zmanda Debug logs" when running the collect logs function. This is jsut an FYI if its not an issue.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Christian

Hi Christian,
    Hope you doing fine.

I looked at the logs that you have sent and the issue seems to be that you are using an older build. If you check "ZIB_install_dir\misc\version.txt", the revision no will be "15299". The latest 1.0.2 on the zmanda network which has the installer with the issue fixed in it has revision no "17295".

Please download the latest installer. Confirm that the version.txt has the above revision no.

Just to re-iterate:
    1. User "amandabackup" needs to have permissions on the NAS shares.
    2. Once the installation is done, re-map the drive by logging in as "amandabackup" user since during uninstallation "amandabackup" user will be deleted. Select the option "Reconnect at logon". Enter "amandabackup" user name and password that has permissions on the NAS share.
    3. Login as "Administrator" and map the NAS share with the same drive letter
    and using "amandabackup" user credentials. Select the option "Reconnect at logon".
    4. Create a backup set and select the files/folders from the Mapped drive.
    5. Run a backup.

Please let me know what happens :-)

Regards,
    Prashant

Prashant,
    Thank you for your replies and sorry for taking so long to get back with you.

I have followed your suggestions, but I am sorry to report I have the same results. Here is what I have done in more detail.

1. As you suggested, I have downloaded and installed the newest build of ZCB.

2. I've upgraded the firmware on my NAS to the latest version.

3. I've added amandabackup to each AD group necessary for RWX permissions on the NAS and using a login script, I am mapping each share to its own drive letter. I have verified I can read and write to these shares while logged in as amandabackup. while logged into this account, I tried to run ZCB, and continued to recieve the error, "Validation of disk list entry failed" This message is displayed 1 second after I run the job.

4. I've done the same steps above as administrator, with the same results.

5. I've done this from 2 different servers with the same results.

Thanks,
    Christian

Hi Christian,
    I had seen your comment on another thread which stated that ZCB was working fine. Just wanted to follow up if the mapped drive backup issue reported in this thread has been resolved or not with the latest ZCB version?

Regards,
    Prashant

Yes ZCB is backing up to my NAS before uploading to Amazon. This issue has been resolved on my end. Thanks for checking back with me =)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post

1. User "amandabackup" needs to have permissions on the NAS shares.
    2. Once the installation is done, re-map the drive by logging in as "amandabackup" user since during uninstallation "amandabackup" user will be deleted. Select the option "Reconnect at logon". Enter "amandabackup" user name and password that has permissions on the NAS share.
    3. Login as "Administrator" and map the NAS share with the same drive letter
    and using "amandabackup" user credentials. Select the option "Reconnect at logon".
    4. Create a backup set and select the files/folders from the Mapped drive.
    5. Run a backup.
    Prashant, just wanted to let you know that I was having some confusion about how to connect Zmanda with our SMB storage for local backup, and your set of steps above got me working perfectly. Thank you!