Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compilation on AIX 5.3

Here is the procedure with xlc7.0.0.0
    ===========================================

assuming that :
    - only the client part is compiled, I haven't tried to compile the server
    - compilation works but the program has not been tested yet
    - I installed all 3rdparty product on dedicated directory to avoid conflicts.
    - the compilation shell is bash

If you use xlc7.0.0.0, you need to first to compile some 3rdparty products :
    1- gnu make (3.81)
    --> ./configure && make && make install

2- pkgconfig (0.23)
    --> ./configure && make && make install

3- gnu gettext (0.17)
    --> ./configure --prefix=/some/dir/for/gettext0.17 && make && make install

4- glib (2.22.2)
    --> need to specify location of gettext
    export CFLAGS="-I /some/dir/for/gettext0.17/include"
    export LDFLAGS="-L /some/dir/for/gettext0.17/lib"
    export PATH="/some/dir/for/gettext0.17/bin:$PATH"
    ./configure --disable-visibility && perl -pi -e 's/SUBDIRS = . tests/SUBDIRS = ./' gobject/Makefile && make && make install

5- libiconv (1.13.1)
    --> need to specify location of gettext
    export CFLAGS="-I /some/dir/for/gettext0.17/include"
    export LDFLAGS="-L /some/dir/for/gettext0.17/lib"
    export PATH="/some/dir/for/gettext0.17/bin:$PATH"
    ./configure --prefix=/some/dir/for/libiconv1.13.1 && make && make install

You can then build amanda-2.6.1 (works also with 2.6.1p2) as follow :
    --> need to specify localtion of gettext, libconv and need to hack makefiles

./configure --without-server --with-user=amandabackup --with-group=disk --with-amandahosts --without-ipv6 --with-libiconv-prefix=/some/dir/for/libiconv1.13.1 --with-libintl-prefix=/some/dir/for/gettext0.17

perl -pi -e 's;(^LDFLAGS =.*);\1 ../gnulib/.libs/libgnu.a;' amar-src/Makefile oldrecover-src/Makefile recover-src/Makefile

make && make install

That's it !

I can create a tarball with the client and the required 3rdparty libs if someone is interested.

Here is the procedure with gcc 4.2.4 from pware :
    ===============================================

1- from [url]http://pware.hvcc.edu/download/aix53[/url], download (some utilities like wget, zip, unzip are probably not necessary):
    pware53.autoconf.2.63.0.0.bff pware53.flex.2.5.35.0.bff pware53.gmp.4.3.1.0.bff pware53.make.3.81.0.0.bff pware53.readline.5.2.0.0.bff pware53.zip.2.32.0.0.bff
    pware53.base.5.3.0.0.bff pware53.gcc-g++.4.2.4.0.bff pware53.libiconv.1.13.1.0.bff pware53.mpfr.2.4.1.5.bff pware53.tar.1.22.0.0.bff pware53.zlib.1.2.3.0.bff
    pware53.bash.4.0.24.0.bff pware53.gdb.6.7.1.0.bff pware53.libtool.1.5.26.0.bff pware53.ncurses.5.7.0.1.bff pware53.unzip.6.0.0.0.bff
    pware53.expat.2.0.1.0.bff pware53.gettext.0.17.0.0.bff pware53.m4.1.4.12.0.bff pware53.openssl.0.9.8.11.bff pware53.wget.1.11.4.0.bff

2- If needed uncompress them first and install them by typing :
    installp -agYX -d. all

3- create a custom getconf to 'abuse' configure scripts
    create a file called getconf and store it into a tmp dir (say /tmp/hack/getconf)
    ==========================================
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/getconf $* | sed -e 's/-q32//g' -e 's/-qlonglong//g' -e 's/-b32//g' -e 's/-lc$//g' -e 's/-lc[ \t]*//g' -e 's/-lm$//g' -e 's/-lm[ \t]*//g'
    ==========================================

4- make sure our hack version is taken first
    PATH=/tmp/hack:$PATH

5- compile amanda
    ./configure --without-server --with-user=amandabackup --with-group=disk --with-amandahosts --without-ipv6 --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/pware --with-libintl-prefix=/opt/pware

That's it !
    Last edited by vincent; December 4th, 2009 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks for providing the details. What would be really awesome is if you consider becoming the resident Amanda AIX Platform Expert. You can add yourself to the list, under AIX, here:

[url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Platform_Experts[/url]

That is also the best location for your documentation, which can be maintained by you and other Amanda/AIX users.

Also, yes, please do send the client and required libraries tarball. You can use yousendit.com and send it to [email]community@zmanda.com[/email]. We will put these on SourceForge or other appropriate location.

Well, I'm not an AIX expert at all

Regarding the tarball, unfortunately all paths are hardcoded : I dont' know how to relocate shared library on AIX.

But I can recompile the whole lot to something like : /opt/amanda-2.6.1

Hi Vincent,
    could you send me the tarball liek you offered in your post.

I'm struggling with the installation of the Amanda client on AIX and maybe your tarball can help me.

Thanks in advance.

I've just sent you an email with links to tarballs

hi,vincent,pls send your amanda setup file for AIX 5.3 to my email [email]guohp@gsta.com[/email], if you have step by step document,pls send it to me.
    i try many times in AIX to fail, it show "checking size of int... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof ".
    thanks a lot

Hello,

sure, I tried to you some infos by emails but I've got :
    <guohp@gsta.com>: host 61.144.66.76[61.144.66.76] said: 554 Invalid recipients or sender blocked (in reply to DATA command)

Regards,

Vincent,

We would be happy to host your tarball somewhere. If you like, you can send these to us. You can use yousendit.com to send it to [email]community@zmanda.com[/email]

thanks

Hello,

well my tarballs have some hardcoded settings which are not standard. I'm not sure it's wise to distribute them.

Here is my ./configure :
    cd amanda-2.6.1; ./configure --without-server --with-user=amandabackup --with-group=disk --prefix=/bbpsysadm/aix-5.3-powerpc/xlc-7.0.0.0/amanda-2.6.1 --with-amandahosts --without-ipv6 --with-libiconv-prefix=/bbpsysadm/aix-5.3-powerpc/xlc-7.0.0.0/libiconv-1.13.1 --with-libintl-prefix=/bbpsysadm/aix-5.3-powerpc/xlc-7.0.0.0/gettext-0.17 --with-gnutar=/bbpsysadm/aix-5.3-powerpc/xlc-7.0.0.0/tar-1.22/bin/tar

I defined a custom deployment directory tree as follow :
    /bbpsysadm/
    --> our company sysadmin root
    $platform/
    --> compiler platform : here I've compiled under aix-5.3-powerpc
    $compiler/
    --> compiler version : here I've used IBM xlC compiler version 7.0.0.0

For maintenance purposes, having a global deployment tree eases my life. -> I have a kind of flat "source control system" for my binaries and my builds.
    Following the same concept, I have also :
    /bbpsysadm/sunos-5.10/suncc-5.8-121017-14 and
    /bbpsysadm/linux-debian-3.0/gcc-3.3.5
    By doing so I have consistent deployment but I'm getting off standards, that's why I'm not very keen on distributing them. But if you don't mind, I can share the tarballs, or I can redo a compilation with another --prefix. Just tell me.

Regards,

hi,vincent, my command is "./configure --without-server --with-user=amandabackup --with-group=disk --prefix=/home/mysql/gccsetup/amanda-2.6.1 --with-amandahosts --without-ipv6 --with-libiconv-prefix=/home/mysql/amdsetup/libiconv-1.13.1 --with-libintl-prefix=/home/mysql/amdsetup/gettext-0.17 --with-gnutar=/usr/bin/gtar",

but i got errors, it is "checking size of int... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof(size_t)" yet!!!