Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2.6.1p1 not accepting tapes from previous 2.6.0.p2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Campinas-SP
    Posts
    34

    Default 2.6.1p1 not accepting tapes from previous 2.6.0.p2

    Hi,
    I'm sorry if this is not the proper place for this post, but since it is a problem with the last release, I think it is the right place, mainly because there is nothing on release notes about this problem.

    I was using 2.6.0.p2 on a openSuSE 10.2 system. Everything is all right.
    This weekend I update Amanda to 2.6.1.p1 and it does not recognize tapes from previous version 2.6.0.p2.

    amcheck returns:
    Code:
    Amanda Tape Server Host Check
    -----------------------------
    WARNING: holding disk /var/lib/amanda/holdings/diario: only 30032 MB available (30720 MB requested)
    Found an empty or non-amanda tape.
           (expecting tape diario-18 or a new tape)
    Server check took 29.863 seconds
    
    Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
    --------------------------------
    Client check: 3 hosts checked in 1.445 seconds.  0 problems found.
    
    (brought to you by Amanda 2.6.1p1)
    Interesting is amlabel recognize the same tape:
    Code:
    amlabel: label diario-18 already on a tape
    I have to use the force flag to get it relabeled:
    Code:
    root@bigslam:/etc/amanda>/bin/su - amandabackup -c "/usr/sbin/amlabel -f diario diario-18"
    Reading label...
    Found an empty tape.
    Writing label diario-18..
    Checking label...
    Success!
    root@bigslam:/etc/amanda>/bin/su - amandabackup -c "/usr/sbin/amcheck diario"
    Amanda Tape Server Host Check
    -----------------------------
    WARNING: holding disk /var/lib/amanda/holdings/diario: only 30028 MB available (30720 MB requested)
    read label `diario-18', date `X'.
    NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
    Tape diario-18 label ok
    Server check took 0.037 seconds
    
    Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
    --------------------------------
    Client check: 3 hosts checked in 1.211 seconds.  0 problems found.
    
    (brought to you by Amanda 2.6.1p1)
    The biggest problem is if I need to recover/restore something I will be in trouble, since my 2.6.0.p2 tapes are not recognized by 2.6.1.p1;

    Both versions was installed by a rpm package for openSuSE. No problems during the upgrade (rpm -Uvh).

    There are any changes in label formats from 2.6.0.p2 to 2.6.1.p1 that could explain this behaviour ?
    There is anything I can do to re-use my previous tapes without re-label them ?
    What is the procedure to recover something in previous 2.6.0.p2 tape using the last version 2.6.1.p1 ?

    thanks,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    688

    Default

    This sounds like a problem with your block size -- were you using a non-default (32k) blocksize in 2.6.0?
    Storage Software Engineer
    Zmanda, Inc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Campinas-SP
    Posts
    34

    Default

    No, I'm not. (or as far as I know, I am not using a custom block size).
    Anyway, I can double check this. How can I check what is the current block size ?
    I search recursively on /etc/amanda for "block|size" using grep but nothing came up.

    And since I didn't remove the previous version, just upgraded using "rpm -Uvh" all previous configuration files were there, without any changes. Everything is there. Just the binaries were updated.

    PS: ...and if is a block size problem, then "amlabel" wouldn't recognized the tape as "diario-18" as above, right ?
    Last edited by marozsas; May 4th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Hmm.. can you read the existing tapes with dd?
    dd if=$tapedev bs=32k count=1
    Storage Software Engineer
    Zmanda, Inc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Campinas-SP
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    Hmm.. can you read the existing tapes with dd?
    dd if=$tapedev bs=32k count=1
    No, I can't.
    Code:
    dd: reading `/dev/nst0': Input/output error
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 9.6174 s, 0.0 kB/s
    and a re-labeled tape is readable, as expected:
    Code:
    AMANDA: TAPESTART DATE X TAPE diario-19
    
    
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    32768 bytes (33 kB) copied, 0.00723684 s, 4.5 MB/s
    so, it is a block size problem ? How come ? Where I set the block size in Amanda ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    688

    Default

    it looks like it's either a tape/hardware problem, or you were using a large blocksize before and not now. Blocksize can be configured either with the blocksize parameter in the tapetype or using the BLOCK_SIZE device property.

    Try using dd with different block sizes until you find out what your old block size was.
    Storage Software Engineer
    Zmanda, Inc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Campinas-SP
    Posts
    34

    Default

    thank you, dustin. As always it is a interface problem: The interface between the chair and the keyboard.....

    I will try to figure out which is the block size I am using.

    In tape device definition on templates there is nothing about block size. There is just a mention about using tapetest to get the tape's length.

    thanks again,

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •