Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with OpenSolaris installation

Default Issues with OpenSolaris installation

OK, I'm trying to install the Server on an OpenSolaris 2008.11/x86 box. I selected the Amanda Backup Server Sol 10 SVSVR4 package, as the recommended best fit for OpenSolaris.

I ran into some issues on the install. I would be happy to fix all of these, and submit the changed files for a new build of the package for OpenSolaris 10 (and do the same for the client). But, the packaging/sun-pkg directory that should be in the src tar ball is not there. Does anyone know who's back I need to scratch to get access to those?

Thanks,
    duckhead

1. The package is looking for CSW packages. These are the old Blastwave SYSVR4 packages. The new Blastwave pkg(5) packages start with IPS. It's looking for gtar, curl, and readline, which I believe to be available as SUNW pkg(5) packages, which would be preferable. I skipped those dependencies for now so that I could go forward with testing. This alone will require a new package specific to Sol 10.

2. The package attempts to create a user called amandabackup, which is too long for OpenSolaris.

3. The package attempts attribute changes on /var/ /var/opt and /var . It probably should not do this.

4. The package has a postinstall that builds /var/amanda/amandadates, but that directory is not delivered in the package. It doesn't fail gracefully on this either.

5. The package delivers /var/opt/amanda/amanda/example/amanda-client.conf, and it looks like the postinstall tries to access it as /var/opt/amanda/example/amanda-client.conf . It doesn't fail gracefully either. I think this is related to the previous one, and to the repeated amanda/amanda subdirectory.

6. The postinstall tried to build the SMF manifest (which is wonderful!) , but fails:

Pattern 'svc:/network/amanda/tcp' doesn't match any instances
    inetconv: Error opening //var/opt/amanda/example/inetd.conf.amandaserver: No such file or directory
    Pattern 'svc:/network/amanda/tcp' doesn't match any instances
    failed. Please check your system logs.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhead View Post
    OK, I'm trying to install the Server on an OpenSolaris 2008.11/x86 box. I selected the Amanda Backup Server Sol 10 SVSVR4 package, as the recommended best fit for OpenSolaris.

I ran into some issues on the install. I would be happy to fix all of these, and submit the changed files for a new build of the package for OpenSolaris 10 (and do the same for the client). But, the packaging/sun-pkg directory that should be in the src tar ball is not there. Does anyone know who's back I need to scratch to get access to those?

Thanks,
    duckhead
    I can send you the files via email. The files are not ready for public consumption that is the reason why it has not committed to source tree.

Paddy

That sounds more than fair. I see why they're not ready ;-) I assume you can get my email off the forum, if not, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

OK, I've had a first pass, and made a number of changes to the scripts. Mostly error checking, and moving some of the annoying hardcoded strings into variables at the top. I also removed the references to /opt/csw. The build appeared to complete successfully without them. So, I have to assume that OpenSolaris 2008.11 delivers all of the dependencies that Amanda Community Edition needs.

I do have some shell scripts at my house that do a much better job of dependency checking and handing permissions than build_server_pkg does. I'll boot that server up, and copy them off tonight and work on integrating them.

amandabackup may not be an issue, I may just have misread it because of all of the other errors I've encountered. I'll report back on that later.

The /var/opt/amanda/amanda stuff appears to come from the Makefiles, not the build scripts. And that, of course, traces back to autoconf. Here's what I see:

datadir = /var/opt/amanda # OK, that looks reasonable, and matches with the build script.
    pkgdatadir = $(datadir)/amanda # Hmm, that's adding an extra /amanda, why's that?
    amdatadir = /var/opt/amanda/amanda # That doesn't use datadir at all, instead it hardcodes it. Seems like it should be relative (or the same as) datadir.

I'm disinclined to mess with your configure.in, because that will possibly affect multiple architecture. So, should files be installed to /var/opt/amanda or /var/opt/amanda/amanda? If the first one is correct, I'll have to go digging into configure.in and rerun autoconf. I'll make sure to post what I'm doing first though. If the second one is correct, I'll fix the postinstall.

I think almost all of the remaining bugs will be fixed by getting the proper directory into the build.

duckhead

I committed the preliminary stuff that Paddy sent you to a git branch on github:
    [url]http://github.com/djmitche/amanda/tree/sun-pkg[/url]
    If you, or anyone else, would like to have a look, or to use this as a base for your hacking, please do!

Thanks for your work on this -- I know there are a number of folks looking for better Amanda Solaris packages.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    I committed the preliminary stuff that Paddy sent you to a git branch on github:
    [url]http://github.com/djmitche/amanda/tree/sun-pkg[/url]
    If you, or anyone else, would like to have a look, or to use this as a base for your hacking, please do!

Thanks for your work on this -- I know there are a number of folks looking for better Amanda Solaris packages.
    I've got a build system for Solaris packages that integrates into the build tree (directories in the package are derived from those supplied to configure).

It includes a better (more standard) way of processing the SMF manifest and other improvements and fixes more or less all the problems listed by duckhead for the package attributes etc.

So far I've only implemented and tested the client package but the server package should be following soon (the main difference is the package prototype file).

I'll TAR up my changes and send them to any interested parties for testing and/or review. Unfortunately due to a high workload I've let this work sleep for sometime but now I want to get it finished!

As is my packages do not handle dependancies on readline or curl (both of which I don't use).

Regards,

Nick

Nick -- Thanks again! We'll need to integrate these two packages, then.

if you can post what you have to github or a similar service so that everyone can browse it, that would be even better than emailing tarballs. We're trying to do more development "in the open"

[url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Fork_Amanda_on_Github[/url] or, less preferably, send the tarball to me and I'll post it to my git repo.

Nick -- any word? I'm sure you're busy, so I'm happy to post a tarball's worth of code for you if that's easier.

We have a few other people interested in this package, too -- any progress?

OK, I'm back on the pony. I didn't realize this topic was active, because I evidently wasn't automatically subscribed to it. I'll get started back on this over the weekend.

My name on github is also duckhead.

The changes I've made are to the server packaging, so hopefully we won't need a lot of work to reconcile. If there is though, I've done a lot of this type of work....

I'd really like to see Nick's changes to the source tree, and how he did some of his dependency checking before I commit too heavily into the server side. If we have a way of poking him, and getting either the tarball or git fork, that would be great!

Jason