Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZIB uploads VERY SLOWLY!

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    1. Are you using SSL for jets3t? Default is SSL enabled and you have turn off SSL.
    Nothing had been changed from defualt.

2. Can you try ZIB 1.0.2 release?
    I will give it a shot.

3. What Windows version are using? Enabling TCP window scaling can help.
    Good Idea! DONE! Hopefully it won't affect server communication too much.

wierd note... I just looked at ZIB and it was uploading the monthly and the daily at the saime time! I thought that wasn't possible!?! Anyway they were both uploading at 61 KBps. Huh? Oh well downloading 1.0.2 now!

So I installed and endabled window scaling. Then I got all the users to log out and i reboot the server (Windows 2003 SBS BTW). I started up the new ZIB (now called ZCB? whatever). I got the upload going and right away it was at 62.5 KBps. YESSSS!!! I broke the 61 KBps barrier. Hopefully it'll go up as the upload contiunes... NOPE. Back down to 60.

Awww Man! I was sooo exchited about the updated version I had hoped it would have at least a marked improvement. Espscially with window scaling on as well. You would think if there wasn't an upload cap, larger packets would make even a minor difference, say 5-10 KBps.

And there were 2 concurrent uploads going at the same time at 60 KBps earlier, it almost seems like a software limitation. Because the only program that seems to be affected is ZIB. I get better upload speeds to my S3 account even when ZIB is uploading. AND I get great upload speeds to other servers even over SSL!! Most of the time I hit their upload limit of 100-500 KBps before I can even reach my upload limits.

I have no idea what's going on, but I've been very patient with this product and your "forum only" support style. Am I a beta tester? Cause I thought the products I was using were 1.0.1-1.0.2 without any letters just rev #s. Anyway I hope you can get this product/service functional and able to be widely disributed. It has potential.

How many customers have this product functioning properly?
    And how many total users (or percentage of the previous answer will do)?
    Last edited by jdbradbury; February 24th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbradbury View Post
    <edited for brevity>

I have no idea what's going on, but I've been very patient with this product and your "forum only" support style. Am I a beta tester? Cause I thought the products I was using were 1.0.1-1.0.2 without any letters just rev #s. Anyway I hope you can get this product/service functional and able to be widely disributed. It has potential.
    Jeremy
    Thank you for your patience. BTW, when 1.0.2 was released we did announce support through our technical support team. You can use Zmanda Network's (http:network.zmanda.com) support portal to log technical support issues for ZCB. Please log a call with us and our tech support team, along with our engineering will try and understand the root cause here to get resolution.

Thanks and Regards
    tk

Ram "TK" Krishnamurthy
    VP, Services and Support
    Zmanda Inc

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jdbradbury View Post
    And there were 2 concurrent uploads going at the same time at 60 KBps earlier, it almost seems like a software limitation. ]
    Just to clarify, you can schedule uploads for multiple backup sets at the same time. In fact, we plan to use this capability to enable parallel backup streams for a backup run for within a backup set or across backup sets.

Paddy

Default Our performance measurements

Thanks TK.

I just wanted to add couple of points here in the forum about performance.

We test ZCB from various locations for performance. For example: We have seen performance (uncompressed, unencrypted backups) of ~400Kbytes/sec. The upload network bandwidth was about 470Kbytes/sec. So higher performance is definitely possible.

Few factors to be considered:

1. We measure upload internet speed using Speakeasy site ([url]http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/[/url]). Please take few measurements (we suggest to Seattle, WA data center). You can see variances of +/- 30%

2. ZCB will retry errors in case of S3 transfer errors. It will retry few times. In most cases, the S3 errors will succeed on a retry. Such retries significantly impact ZCB performance. We plan to show the error rate (some way to measure transfer error) in ZCB UI in the next release.

BTW, We are also working on a write-up about ZCB performance measurements.

Paddy

Is 190 kpbs still the ave. upload speed? We'd hoped to use this in an enterprise situation backing up large mySQL db's (400GB), but the speeds kill the deal for us. Am I misunderstanding the capability here for S3/Zmanda? Seems 10-20 GB would be the tolerable limit of a backup for the current capability.

Are you seeing 190Kbytes/sec upload speed? We have measured higher speeds (see my previous comment).

Are you using ZCB 1.0.2 release?

400GB - is this full backup size? In case of MySQL you will have to do first upload (this will take days/weeks). After that you can just do incrementals.

Your performance will be dependent on your ISP bandwidth and the number of hops to Amazon data centers.

Paddy