Thread: Disklists and holding disk preference

Default Disklists and holding disk preference

Is it possible to make a disklist use a specified holding disk? I couldn't find anything in the docs that said for sure.

I have an opensuse 11.0 box (amanda 2.5.2p1) with a win 2003 vm. The system will crash sometimes probably due to the massive i/o to dump the vm's disklist while the host is dumping it's own disklists. I was going to test offloading the compression to the amanda server (also the vm host) for the vm's disklists (compress server fast). I want the vm's disklist to write to a separate volume from the one it's hosted on so I don't saturate the bus on one controller, but I also want other (larger) disklists to default to the holding disk with more space.

Is this possible?

You can configure any directory on the server to be a holding disk and have as many as you want. Look for something like

holdingdisk hd2 {
    directory "/LotsOfSpace/MyConfig"
    use 3 Gb
    }

in your amanda.conf to edit what is there or insert something like this to create a new or additional one.

Paul

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I know how to configure the holding disks; I have two, one on a SATA drive which is the root partition and another on a RAID 5 SCSI array. The VM's files are on the SATA and I wanted to have the disklist for the VM only write to the holding disk on the RAID array so it wouldn't saturate the SATA controller with heavy i/o.

It might be a moot point anyway as setting the compression to "compress server fast" for the VM's disklist seems to have fixed the issue for now.

Glad things are currently working as hoped.