Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZIB wont upload some backups to S3

Quote Originally Posted by jdbradbury View Post
    Looks like the report says it didnt upload, but still deleted the backup file. My other backups scheduled didn't run at all, because the other one is uploading.
    From the screen shots that you have sent it seems that upload for DailyData is done in 3 secs and upload for Backupset1 is in progress.

Can you pl. send us the logs so that we can debug if the upload actully happened or not.

Parallel backups of different backup sets are possible but for same backupset multiple uploads/backups are not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbradbury View Post
    Last night at 8pm my daily data says it uploaded art 843008 KBps?? It claims to have successfully uploaded 1.61 GB in 3 seconds. I am pretty sure that is not possible. I will email a screenshot.
    I looked at the image again and realize that the backup was failed for that particular backuprun. So I guess the files uploaded were very small in size and thats why took just few seconds to upload.

Actually the upload should not start if the backuprun fails. Will fix that bug.

-Harsha

Quote Originally Posted by harsha View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. We are looking into this upload rate issue.
    When you compare ZIB performance to ISP bandwidth meter test results, please remember:

1. ZIB communication to Amazon data center is using SSL. SSL will take additional
    time.
    2. In case of ZIB, you are measuring transfer from your data center to Amazon data centers via your ISP. We do not know how far the ISP is from Amazon data centers.
    3. ZIB performance includes the time to get packet ack from Amazon.

We measure ZIB performance and compare it to performance seen by other tools (We use jets3t tool for comparison). ZIB performs better than other tools.

The performance reported by you appears reasonable.

We are also working on performance improvements that you can take advantage in next couple of releases.

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    When you compare ZIB performance to ISP bandwidth meter test results, please remember:

1. ZIB communication to Amazon data center is using SSL. SSL will take additional
    time.
    Noted, but not this dramatic!

2. In case of ZIB, you are measuring transfer from your data center to Amazon data centers via your ISP. We do not know how far the ISP is from Amazon data centers.
    Our ISP at the furthest is Portland, OR (most likely here in Vancouver, WA) the nearest data center is less than 200 miles in Seattle, WA. There are also others in LA and Palo Alto which are like 700-800 miles. Even if i run the speed test to NY it really only ups latency not much lower in speed.

3. ZIB performance includes the time to get packet ack from Amazon.
    ACK's are required for all transmissions, and generally included in transfer rates. I fail to see how that statement makes any difference.

The performance reported by you appears reasonable.
    I know! We have nearly 2 MBps effective upload rate even during peak use hours. ZIB won't upload any faster than 65 KBps. There has to be something else going on here!!

We are also working on performance improvements that you can take advantage in next couple of releases.
    Well, your product is doing us no good at all unless we can upload before the next day's backup starts. Effectively I have the same result as before applying the patch you posted: a bunch of backups taking up space not being uploaded.

Should we just give up and get a refund? I know there are lots of alternatives. Heck, I could backup our files myself and upload them with the S3 web interface.

I would like to use this tool, and service if it can work for us in practice not just theory. Right now though, it's just wasting our IT resources and costing us money. I will post a new thread about the upload issue, but I think that maybe this issue is similar to the one I had before the patch, coding errors.
    Last edited by jdbradbury; February 3rd, 2009 at 01:12 PM.