Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying ZIB and have newby questions

Default Thinking of buying ZIB and have newby questions

I'm intrigued by ZIB (currently using Mozy Pro). I have a few "newby" questions, though, before I dive into the pool.

1. Does ZIB compress data before storage (thereby reducing transfer times)?
    2. How does ZIB handle versions? Does it store versions of documents, or only the most recent iteration? If it stores versions, for how long are the versions stored?
    3. How does ZIB handle large files like Outlook.PST? Does it transfer the entire file at each back-up, or only the changed portions?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are a good place to start.

Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I'm intrigued by ZIB (currently using Mozy Pro). I have a few "newby" questions, though, before I dive into the pool.

1. Does ZIB compress data before storage (thereby reducing transfer times)?
    Yes. ZIB compresses data before storage.

2. How does ZIB handle versions? Does it store versions of documents, or only the most recent iteration? If it stores versions, for how long are the versions stored?
    ZIB stores versions of documents depending on the backups done. How long the versions are retained can be configured. It can be days/months/years of retention.

3. How does ZIB handle large files like Outlook.PST? Does it transfer the entire file at each back-up, or only the changed portions?
    ZIB does file level backup. The incremental backup will contain all modified files (entire file).

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    ZIB does file level backup. The incremental backup will contain all modified files (entire file).

Paddy
    Paddy: Thanks for your response. This last comment concerns me. I have a 3 gb Outlook.pst file. Are you saying that the entire 3 gb file gets backed-up EVERY time I do a back-up? If so, won't this take an extremely long time (even with compressed data on a DSL connection)? And, perhaps most importantly, given that Amazon charges per GB uploaded, doesn't this increase cost?

I'm interested to hear your comments. Thanks!!
    Last edited by ScottB; January 9th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Yes.

We recommend that Outlook files are backed up once a week with the
    current solution. i.e. put Outlook PST in a different backup-set then
    your daily backup-set.

We will be looking at ways to do incremental backups of Outlook PSTs in
    a future release.

Paddy

Thanks, Paddy!

Paddy: Any update on incremental PST and/or OST back-ups?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Paddy: Any update on incremental PST and/or OST back-ups?

Thanks!
    No changes in ZCB 1.0.2 release. We will addressing this in next releases.

Paddy

Default Nature of file structure in cloud

Paddy replied...

CrexTechs asks...
    If I need to restore all files do these incremental backups need to be combined into a complete file set or does the incremental backup make one complete set of files?

Also can individual files be recovered from an identical file and folder structure to the original structure?

Thanks
    Last edited by crextechs; July 21st, 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: clarity

Cool

Paddy, sounds to me the incremental is just a FULL backup.
    Correct me if wrong, no wonder I see my MS SQL incremental is the same size as the FULL backup.

So what is the benefit of having Incremental?

Quote Originally Posted by crextechs View Post
    Paddy replied...

CrexTechs asks...
    If I need to restore all files do these incremental backups need to be combined into a complete file set or does the incremental backup make one complete set of files?

Also can individual files be recovered from an identical file and folder structure to the original structure?

Thanks
    ZCB automatically combines the backups and restores files from multiple backups.

Yes. individual files can be recovered to different location. More enhancements in this area will be available in the next release (available in few weeks).

Paddy