Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2008 x64 & ZIB

Default Windows 2008 x64 & ZIB

Now that I have my test install working, I'm moving on to installing ZIB on my Windows 2008 DCE server running SQL 2005. During the install I get errors about starting the ZWCService, and then the install hangs. I have to manually kill the install, which appears to leave ZIB in an half-installed state. I know that Windows 2008 shows as support - is the x64 edition supported?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nolang View Post
    Now that I have my test install working, I'm moving on to installing ZIB on my Windows 2008 DCE server running SQL 2005. During the install I get errors about starting the ZWCService, and then the install hangs. I have to manually kill the install, which appears to leave ZIB in an half-installed state. I know that Windows 2008 shows as support - is the x64 edition supported?

Thanks!
    Yes. it is supported. Are you using the 64bit installer?

Can you please send us the logs?

thanks,
    Paddy

I'm not too smart I guess. Let me make sure I am using the x64 installer, which I probably am not.

Ok I was not using the 64bit installer. I used that, and it installed without any problems. I also used the same installer on a 64bit 2003 box that has never had ZIB on it before at all. Neither system will launch ZIB - when I double click on the icon, nothing happens at all. When I navigate to C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Internet Backup(x64)\bin\ and run ZIB.jar, I get "Unable to read the windows registry settings."

Any ideas?
    Last edited by nolang; December 23rd, 2008 at 04:54 PM.

Ok I was not using the 64bit installer. I used that, and it installed without any problems. I also used the same installer on a 64bit 2003 box that has never had ZIB on it before at all. Neither system will launch ZIB - when I double click on the icon, nothing happens at all. When I navigate to C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Internet Backup(x64)\bin\ and run ZIB.jar, I get "Unable to read the windows registry settings."

Any ideas?
    You need to install 64 bit Java. The whole stack needs to be 64 bit.

--kkg

I suppose this is what I get for trusting the Java installer to know what it's doing... my bad. Thanks for the tip.

I know that these issues are "stupid user tricks", but the ZIB installer should check for these things to eliminate these potential issues.

I suppose this is what I get for trusting the Java installer to know what it's doing... my bad. Thanks for the tip.

I know that these issues are "stupid user tricks", but the ZIB installer should check for these things to eliminate these potential issues.
    Yes it is already an open issue that we are working on. Actually we had a check in place for java but it was not always doing the right thing especially on 64 bit and hence we chose to remove the check completly as it had potential to cause more confusion.

--kkg

Ok, I got ZIB running. I uninstalled the old Java, reinstalled x64 Java, reinstalled ZIB. I couldn't get ZIB to run unless I run launch_zib.bat from an Administrative shell (ZIB seems to not like UAC).

I'm having troubles with backups still, specifically SQL backups. Also, whenever I go to the scheduler tab, Scheduler.exe crashes and generates an error report. I am sending the logs over now.

Ok, I got ZIB running. I uninstalled the old Java, reinstalled x64 Java, reinstalled ZIB. I couldn't get ZIB to run unless I run launch_zib.bat from an Administrative shell (ZIB seems to not like UAC).

ZIB does need administrator privileges but on Vista (I have not tested on Windows 2008 DCE server 64 bit specifically) all I need is to run ZIB as a user who is an administrator. So it may be a policy setting on your system (I am guessing here).

I'm having troubles with backups still, specifically SQL backups. Also, whenever I go to the scheduler tab, Scheduler.exe crashes and generates an error report. I am sending the logs over now.
    It may be something specifc to the 64 bit Windows 2008 DCE server. We have not specially tested with this particular version so we will take a look at the log file and get back to you.

Just FYI about the Administrative issue, I am running as a Domain Admin, so I have full Admin privileges. The issue, I *think*, is that ZIB doesn't do whatever it needs to do to request elevated access and thus generate a UAC prompt.

Thanks!