Thread: Best Practice for Multiple Servers

Default Best Practice for Multiple Servers

Hello!

I want to use ZIB to backup multiple servers. I have about 8 servers that need to be backed up. This is at a colo where I have limited storage space (hence S3). I do not want to keep local copies of the backup at this time.

What's the best way to make this happen with ZIB?

Thanks!

Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    - Do all of your servers run Windows?
    - Do you want combined billing for backup of all of your servers or do you manage those servers for different customers and you want a separate bill for each server?
    Regards
    --------
    Dmitri Joukovski

All of the servers I am interested in backing up run Windows. I have two Linux systems which I will just have tar and upload necessary data to the Windows servers for backup for the time being. I'd like the billing for these servers to be under one account.

If this solution ends up working well, I'll resell this to customers, at which point I'd have to work out a way to have each group of customer's servers and workstations bill as their respective groups. That's a ways down the road though.

Quote Originally Posted by nolang View Post
    Hello!

I do not want to keep local copies of the backup at this time.

What's the best way to make this happen with ZIB?

Thanks!
    Dmitri is answering the question regarding ZIB on multiple servers. Let me answer other requirement.

You can schedule "Backup+Upload" for backups. The backup folder is used as a cache for the upload to S3. When the backup image is uploaded to S3, the data in the backup folder is removed.

Paddy

When you run ZIB on multiple servers at the same location, you might think how to apply the same backup policy (backup what, where to stage the backup before uploading to S3, backup retention policy, compression, encryption) to multiple ZIB instances. If all of your servers are identical, for example, all of them run MS SQL, then you could just copy and paste C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Internet Backup\zib\conf for each host where ZIB is installed.

However, even for identical servers you will need to modify each individual policy to balance the amount of data backed up to optimize bandwidth for uploading. For all of your servers you have to figure out how to configure the backup levels, backup times and upload times so you don’t upload full backups for multiple servers at the same time.

The more servers you have, the more challenging it becomes to provide load balancing for backup jobs and uploads and to manage each server. That is why I think our other product [URL="http://www.zmanda.com/backup-Amazon-S3.html"]Amanda Enterprise with backup to Amazon S3 [/URL]option might be a better solution for you. Amanda Enterprise will stage all of your Windows (or any other clients such as Linux, Solaris and OS-X) backup jobs to a Linux or Solaris backup server in the most efficient way, and then it will upload backup images to Amazon S3. Your backup window and your usage of bandwidth to S3 will be approximately the same every day.

-----------
    Dmitri Joukovski

So if I want to convert from ZIB to Zmanda, will my existing Amazon S3 subscription work?

ZIB and Amanda Enterprise backup option for S3 require two different certificates and you will need to get a different subscription from us. Of course, we will give you a credit for ZIB if you decide to purchase Amanda Enterprise.
    ---------
    Dmitri Joukovski