Thread: Doubt about Samba-Amanda backup on Windows !

Question Doubt about Samba-Amanda backup on Windows !

Hi,

I wish to back up data present on a Windows 2000 PC (PC1) onto disk connected to a Windows XP Pro PC (PC2).

I installed Amanda server version 2.6.0p2 on Cygwin on PC2, by building from source. Then, I installed Amanda client version 2.6.0p2 (ZWCInstaller-Community-26.zip) on PC1.

I did the required configurations on both machines using the wiki documentation. Now, from another documentation source, I read that Amanda requires Samba to work with Windows file systems. Is that true?
    If so, on which PC should I install Samba?
    Should I first install Samba, and then re-install Amanda server/client?

Please let me know.

Thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by winamanda View Post
    Hi,

I wish to back up data present on a Windows 2000 PC (PC1) onto disk connected to a Windows XP Pro PC (PC2).

I installed Amanda server version 2.6.0p2 on Cygwin on PC2, by building from source. Then, I installed Amanda client version 2.6.0p2 (ZWCInstaller-Community-26.zip) on PC1.
    I'm assuming that you are backing up to disk. Backing up to tape may not work from cygwin. Please verify if the tape drive/changer is accessible from cygwin.

ZWCInstaller-Community-26.zip expects the backup user to be amandabackup. When you compiled from source, please make sure you are using "amandabackup" as --user in configure command.

I did the required configurations on both machines using the wiki documentation. Now, from another documentation source, I read that Amanda requires Samba to work with Windows file systems. Is that true?
    If so, on which PC should I install Samba?
    Should I first install Samba, and then re-install Amanda server/client?

Please let me know.

Thanks a ton!
    Amanda can work with Samba or Zmanda windows client. SInce you have installed Zmanda windows client, there is not need to use Samba.

Can you please let us know about the documentation source? We can get it fixed.

thanks,
    Paddy

Red face

Thanks Paddy!

Yes, I am backing up onto disk.

The documentation that mentioned about Samba is a little confusing.
    Find it here: [url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#Installation[/url]

Here, it is mentioned that AMANDA is able to back up Microsoft Windows shared disks by using Samba, but does not mention the Amanda Client.
    Also, further down in the Example Configuration section, it is mentioned that "The AMANDA client software and (patched) Samba is installed on host "pcserver"". Why should the client software and Samba be installed together, if only one of them is required?

I hope it makes sense.

I have fixed the wiki documentation ([url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client[/url]).

Please review and feel free to edit the wiki.

thanks,
    Paddy