Thread: Automatic tape labelling

Post Automatic tape labelling

Hello all,

After not much ado, I am proud to have added automatic tape labeling to
    Amanda. The enclosed patch adds a new configure option, label_new_tapes,
    which when set will allow Amanda to pick up and use any tape without having
    to label it. This patch also means you can avoid labeling your virtual tapes,
    when dumping to disk.

I should point out that this behaviour is somewhat dangerous; thus, even if you apply the patch, you must enable the label_new_tapes config-file option to actually change anything. Most obviously, if you use your tapes for something other than Amanda, then Amanda will quite happily erase them with her own data. Furthermore, if you have a tape which is starting to fail, Amanda may decide it is a new tape, and overwrite it -- even if the data is still needed.

However, for installations where extremely high reliability is not required,
    or for those using disk-based backup, or for those not using a tape changer,
    automatic tape labelling is an excellent convenience.

Please comment on the patch; if there are no negative remarks, I'll plan to
    merge it to 2.5.0 sometime in the next several days.

Cheers,

--Ian

Lightbulb Oops, forgot the patch.

Here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    Here it is.
    Hello Have u checked the label_new_tapes.patch.txt i don't think its a patch

This patch is now part of Amanda 2.5 release. You download RPMs (including source and tar ball) from [url]http://www.zmanda.com/downloads.html[/url]

Are you looking for the patch for an older release? I don't think the patch is available for older releases.

Paddy