Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Corrupted curinfo?

  1. #1

    Default Corrupted curinfo?

    After updating from 2.5.0p2 to 2.6.0p2 and running OK for a few days, I'm seeing the compression estimates for planner are totally off, which disturbs the DLEs chosen for backup on each run. For example, right now amadmin balance shows:
    due-date #fs orig KB out KB balance
    ----------------------------------------------
    9/26 Fri 1 137375330 0 ---
    9/27 Sat 0 0 0 ---
    9/28 Sun 3 127146210 4051325553137561658 +3693.9%
    9/29 Mon 6 183484280 7829679975848763634 +7232.2%
    9/30 Tue 3 132909620 3833724574305892912 +3490.1%
    10/01 Wed 3 130272160 13951584 -100.0%
    10/02 Thu 1 107617510 3906644189318756912 +3558.4%
    ----------------------------------------------
    TOTAL 17 818805110 1174630218915375084 106784565355943189

    When I look at the curinfo files, I see weird numbers, like:

    version: 0
    command: 0
    full-rate: 248224584890965728.000000 253371476446324448.000000 1.000000
    full-comp: 51552354079120.609375 54073180948910.703125 0.000000
    incr-rate: 1.000000 466159850445589824.000000 70629992721722024.000000
    incr-comp: 0.000000 101461636130841.812500 15769534470243.072266
    stats: 0 67410 3475144188473520183 14 1221816322 4 daily171
    stats: 1 41930 0 10 1222099319 9 daily228
    last_level: 1 3
    history: 1 41930 0 1222099319 10
    history: 1 41350 4195438654010308656 1221997075 9
    history: 1 40310 635669934495498241 1221903501 9
    history: 0 67410 3475144188473520183 1221816322 14
    history: 1 48750 4193749804150044720 1221730656 11
    history: 1 48450 0 1221644152 11
    ...

    Other than this, the backups seem to run normally and the daily Amanda report includes correct compression rates for every DLE, which somehow do not get written to the curinfo files. Is there a fix for this? How can I safely reset the compression rate calculation by editing or rebuilding the curinfo database without ditching my backups?

    Thanks,


    Jose

  2. #2

    Default More info about the curinfo issue

    I've determined that my problem consists on amanda not getting the correct compressed sizes to write into curinfo. It basically uses and writes garbage compressed dumpsizes into curinfo: either 0 or a really big number. So, the compression rates are totally off because of that and in the next cycle planner uses these bogus rates and schedules random DLEs.

    I glanced at driver.c and it seems the compressed dumpsize is only read from the chunker output, but my logs don't show any chunker output. Maybe that's the source of the problem: dumpsize never gets the right value. For now, I wrote a script that runs after amdump and fixes the curinfo files using the correct dumpsizes read from the dumper output on the amdump log file. This works, but I would like a better solution.

    I'm also posting my amanda.conf, just in case it's relevant. I've been using basically this same configuration for a couple of years with Amanda 2.5.0p2. In short, I use a lot of 5GB tapes on hard disk, each one split into 511MB chunks, without holding disk. This was working fine until I updated to 2.6.0p2, which I downloaded from the Amanda website and built from sources without any change/patch.

    I had to upgrade Amanda because I was unable to recover large compressed DLEs with 2.5.0p2 (the default on CentOS 5), not even by stitching the chunks together without using amfetchdump. Now I run amcheckdump every night and it passes. I use CentOS 5 on the server and most of my client machines, except for one CentOS 4 machine. All CentOS 5 machines use Amanda 2.6.0p2 and the CentOS 4 client machine uses the default Amanda 2.4.4p3.

    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,


    Jose
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Thanks for reporting the problem

    Can you try the attached patch?
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4

    Default Thanks for the patch

    Hi martineau,

    Your patch fixed the problem in my last run. Thanks a lot for your prompt and effective answer.

    I'm just curious about the reason this problem was triggered, because I guess this is not a mainstream bug affecting most users. Is it something in my configuration? If you know the reason and can tell me to satisfy my curiosity, thanks again. Otherwise, don't spend time on finding it out. I'm already very satisfied with the prompt fix.

    Thanks,


    Jose

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    All users doing direct dump to tape are affected, but most users use an holding disk never do dump direct to tape.

    The use of an holding disk speed up the backup.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Jose,

    It will be great if you can share your Amanda setup. E.g. how many (and type of) systems you are protecting, data size, and any performance numbers you can share.

    Thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •