Thread: selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer Client check: 1 host

Exclamation selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer Client check: 1 host

Hi
    I am trying to configure amanda backup on red hat machine (rhel 5.1) and i am taking back up of suse machine (sles 10.2) .when i run the command ("amaddclient --config DailySet1 --client client150 --diskdev /root/databackup --dumptype comp-user-tar"). It works fine but when i run the command ("amcheck DailySet1") it gives an error "client150: selfcheck request failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer
    Client check: 1 host checked in 0.186 seconds. 1 problem found".I don't know what to do .Can anybody help me.
    Also when i run the command ("amaddclient --config DailySet1 --client client150 --diskdev /root/databackup --dumptype comp-user-tar") it doesn't give any error but when i run ("amaddclient --config DailySet1 --client client150 --diskdev /root/downloads --dumptype comp-user-tar") i mean when i run the same command to take backup of "/root/downloads" (ie some other location) i allways get a error

amaddclient --config DailySet1 --client client150 --diskdev /root/dounloads --dumptype comp-user-tar
    Logging to /var/log/amanda/amaddclient.20080818224308.debug
    /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist updated
    updating /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts on quartz.zmanda.com
    /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts contains client150 root, file not updated
    Attempting to update /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts on client150
    Password:
    .amandahosts 100% 117 0.1KB/s 00:00
    /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts contains quartz.zmanda.com amandabackup, file not updated
    client150:/var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts updated successfully
    Creating amanda-client.conf for client150
    Creating /etc/amanda/DailySet1 on client150
    Password:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/amanda/DailySet1': File exists
    WARNING: Cannot create /etc/amanda/DailySet1 on client150
    Please copy /var/lib/amanda/amanda-client.conf-client150 to client150 manually
    File /var/lib/amanda/example/xinetd.amandaclient contains the latest Amanda client daemon configuration.
    Please merge it to /etc/xinetd.d/amandaclient.

Ashish
    Last edited by ashishkhatri; August 18th, 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Hello,

It sounds like the client still needs some configuration specifically with the xinetd service for amanda as the end of the output from amaddclient suggests. Here is a good source for common reasons for selfcheck failures and for verifying your client configuration

[url]http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Selfcheck_request_failed[/url]

As for amaddclient not adding another disk device for the same client, the problem seems to occur when amaddclient tries to create an /etc/amanda/DailySet1 directory on the client and then copy /var/lib/amanda/amanda-client.conf-client from the server to this directory. amaddclient seems to be failing when this directory already exists as it would when one has already run amaddclient previously for the same client. Being a new command with 2.6, it may just need some fine tuning that will come from real application such as this.

As an alternative, you could just edit /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist on your server directly, copying the full line entry for this client, pasting it as a new line, and then changing the disk device name from "/root/databackup" to "/root/downloads"

Paul